Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Default A little suggestion

Why don't Avid produce a single track control surface? My friends and I, we are both using analog consoles for mixing, but we have to make automations on PT, we don't have too much space to place a control surface on the console or beside it. If we have a single track control surface, it will be much better, I know there are single track control surfaces from other manufactors, such as Presonus, but they are really not good enough. So if Avid could provide a single channel control surface with enough good compatibility, that will be great!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Presonus makes a wonderful one called Faderport. Check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Default Re: A little suggestion

Also consider the Alphatrack, which adds plugin encoder/control to the fader. I have both and I favor the Faderport for the basic controls and for the reason that it has a dedicated button for switching from edit window to mix window, which I do constantly. The Alphatrack can do that switch as well but there's an extra button involved, however I've enjoyed using that piece. You can also add/expand to a dedicated plugin controller with the Novation Nocturn, which is a great set of plugin control knobs, which I've used for years. All of them are now offline since I migrated to an Artist Control...the eucon implementation is light years beyond what the simpler devices can do with the HUI protocol.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
Also consider the Alphatrack, which adds plugin encoder/control to the fader. I have both and I favor the Faderport for the basic controls and for the reason that it has a dedicated button for switching from edit window to mix window, which I do constantly. The Alphatrack can do that switch as well but there's an extra button involved, however I've enjoyed using that piece. You can also add/expand to a dedicated plugin controller with the Novation Nocturn, which is a great set of plugin control knobs, which I've used for years. All of them are now offline since I migrated to an Artist Control...the eucon implementation is light years beyond what the simpler devices can do with the HUI protocol.
Sadly the Alphatrack (as well as the Tranzport) are no longer available from Frontier Designs. Production stopped some time back and there's none available new on the net.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

One fader only is really going for the low-end user. I don't think this would do justice to the Euphonix name, which came out with a neat 4 faders-touchscreen interface.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 AM

The faderport was great in Cubase but not so great in Pro Tools as it was really difficult to locate the paramater you wanted to control.
If there was a faderport that used the eucon protocol then it would be great. I'd for sure buy it as 1 fader is all I need to write my automation.

And I don't understand the assumption why you have to be a "low end" user to want that. It's like saying only poor people drive a golf.
RME Multiface II with Focusrite Octopre mkII
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
One fader only is really going for the low-end user. I don't think this would do justice to the Euphonix name, which came out with a neat 4 faders-touchscreen interface.
I would rather buy a expensive single track Euphonix if there is one. I have tried Alphatrack and Faderport, they are not good for working with PT. I know Euphonix is a good controller, and it's cheap, but I don't have room to place it. It's the biggest reason why I want a single track controller.