Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue, Let's do something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistlabz View Post
Ok.....

So I create a new account with admin privileges
I load the software and could run 11 tracks stereo session and even a 40 minutes Sequence for a demo CD with 16 tracks all with plug-ins without trouble. I couldn't test the rewire session because I had to re-authorize all my software instruments plug-ins, sorry but really don't have the time for that...

Then I had the idea to put the plugs-ins in the unused folder in the plugs-ins folder to see if something happen, then trash the prefs and trash the nomad factory free bundle to the bin (not compatible for 8 so no need to keep it) etc... restart and when I load pro tools I have this message :

Pro Tools Hardware is either not installed used by another another program.

Cannot open my sessions, cannot do nothing. I follow the trouble shooting one by one and now cannot do nothing !
Are you SURE that you only moved plug-ins from the Plug-Ins folder to the Plug-Ins Unused folder? It sounds like you may have moved something else inadvertently - might that be the case?

Did you try moving things back to their original location and testing again?

Since I can't see exactly what you did, it's difficult to say what needs to be done to correct the situation. Moving only plug-ins is not the cause of the error you're experiencing, so it's a matter of determining what else you may have done that would cause this.

Quote:
So don't you even take the time to help users in trouble ?
Please see the Help Us Help You thread for details about why this may be the case and how you can guarantee getting a response.

Quote:
Yes, I had an AES issue one a 192 I/O and I received a mail three or for days later said that my request for support was resolved cause I didn't reply in time, I think you can imagine how busy we can be in recording studios.
That sounds like you sent the request to Customer Service instead of Tech Support. Do you have the support confirmation number, so I can see what happened.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM

YES I'M SURE that I moved plugs-ins from the Plug-Ins folder to the Plug-Ins Unused folder. YES, where do you think I will move them ? To the desktop ?? I'm using pro tools since 6.xx version, I know what I'm doing.

YES I tried to move things back and do it again. I explain everything I did, I just repeat the same thing. Do you read the posts ?
I made several shutdowns Pram clear and the system went back, I can know open pro tools again but still have the 6101 error.

Instead of asking me what I did please give me a support procedure step by step.
+ Can you assure that Stylus RMX 1.8.2d and Omnisphere 1.0.4 are fully compatible with 8 ? I can see on plug-ins compatibility that recommended version are 1.6 and 1.0.2 for omnisphere. Shouldn't you work on this with spectrasonics, the world is moving quickly.
+ My OS is 10.5.7, is pro tools 8 really fully compatible with 10.5.7 ?? the problems seems to start here cause I upgrade just before installing 8.
+ Can you say if my HD drive (check the links I post) is fully compatible, AS I SAID it's an Oxford Chipset "OXFORD OXUF92 chip"

Give me something effective and easy to understand instead of asking me the same questions.

But you don't, So i will first re install pro tools and this time make a clean install, maybe the 7.4.2 version still remain somewhere, don't you have figured out this possibility also ?

And for the AES enclosure issue I resolved it BY MYSELF, you are too slow thank you...
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Looking for people in the same case of me, We have to make pressure on Digi. I'm not a rookie on pro tools I'm using as a pro for a long time and it's unacceptable that a company like Digi cannot fix and give a simple and easy to understand troubleshooting guide FOR this error.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM

Unhappy Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue, Let's do something

Hi mistlabz,
I'm really astonished for all these CPU problems.
I thought that on the Mac side things were going better and this is why I was thinking of a Win to Mac migration, but ...

I don't know if you looked at this thread:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...45#post1429745

In my case Digi talked clearly about a "known issue":
"What you're experiencing is a known issue and we've got a fix for it that's going through testing right now. We'll be releasing an update that fixes it as soon as testing is complete".

I don't know if this bug affects also the mac side.
Anyway I installed PT 2 weeks ago and I can't still use it.
I noticed the problem before creating my first track
and just to be courious to look at the cpu load before starting.

I hope that all these problems will be fixed soon otherwise I think a lot of people will use something else.

Come on Digi.

Ciao
Fabrizio
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 AM

"What you're experiencing is a known issue and we've got a fix for it that's going through testing right now. We'll be releasing an update that fixes it as soon as testing is complete".

[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]...

Pro Tools 8 is absolutely not friendly with multicore computers, and it's not a problem about mac or PC, it's an issue on all the systems. First I thought it was a problem with the FW buses that is shared on mac but on PC it should be different and you have the same issue so it's not from the FW but the software itself. Even on HD i have kind of issues like that sometimes but not so horrible as it is on LE and MP. They have to reconsider all the architecture of the software for LE and MP, not just transpose HD architecture to CPU based system.

And they really don't care about that, I hope they will release a 8.1 that's work for real. I'm in urgent and need a stable DAW for NOW !

Let's send massive mails to digi support about this issue and maybe they will notice that we exist, we paid for this update. I bought a mac for pro tools !

Some guys says that it's works perfectly, tell us about how did you hooked up you're system.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 AM

I sent a mail to m-audio about this issue, let's see what they reply
Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistlabz View Post

Some guys says that it's works perfectly, tell us about how did you hooked up you're system.
We've got 5 TDM systems in our facility and I've got M-Powered for my personal use. 4 of the TDM systems are on 5-year old 2x2GHz G5s and the latest is on a PC running Windows-XP.

My M-Powered system is on a MacBook Pro and has worked flawlessly for the last 4-years because I've followed simple rules I learned from other manufacturers, i.e. MOTU, TC Electronics, etc. Even before I had the MBPro, M-Powered and Digital Performer ran great on my G4 MacBook by following the same rule.

That rule is "put your firewire hard-drives and firewire interfaces on separate busses". Even on my personal G5, I purchased a FW card to guarantee my external devices were separate from the internal, built-in FW buss. This rule has ALWAYS worked and has nothing to do with anyone's software code... it has to do with Firewire traffic jams.

You may kick and scream at Digi all you want, but you'll never change the fact that you're pushing a lot of data back-n-forth over one hose and collisions are going to happen.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 PM

well, i don't have a macbook pro, but i do run PTMP 8.0 cs3 on an imac C2D 2.4, 2 gig RAM, profire 2626 w/ a glyph gt050 & i had all the same issues being talked about here. i had the -6101 error popping up if i even looked at my computer and i was about ready to pull out what's left of my hair. so i decided to do some troubleshooting. i went thru that a few times & it was still coming up with -6101 with EXTREMELY minimal tracks. so i sat down 1 night & went thru the troubleshooting guide 1 step at a time & did everything it said & well.....i guess i did something right because it works just like it should...for now anyway & i've recorded some pretty big sessions since then & even the sessions that used to crash when i opened them don't even crash now. i don't use an express card ( guess i don't need it w/ this desktop) but here's how i've got my setup chained > imac > profire > glyph. the hardware is going to the FW 400 input on the mac. i wish you luck with your system & hope you get it up & running soon.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Eric >

I did it, as I said I connected the Pro Fire on the FW800 port and the HD on the FW 400 port, so it should be on different bus right ? I'm not daisy chaining.

So if my HD and my interface are on different FW port why do I still have the same error ? what can I do more ? DIgi also said that it's better to reduce the processor numbers to 1 ? Did you reduces you're processor numbers ?
By the way it was working better on 7.4.2, on an I mac yes ! My missues start when I upgrades to PT 8 and OS X 10.5.7.

sykobilly65 > I spend lot of time doing trobleshooting also and follow the step one by one just like you. What is the something who works ? can you be more precise ? The problem is on Imac there is no express card, just have two FW ports. On laptop you can buy a siig card and separate you're buses but on I mac you can't.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM

hi......i'm sorry to say that i don't know what the "something" was that i did all i know is i went by the guide step by step. i wish i could be more help to ya. i know what a headache it can be when your shiznit don't run right........i haven't read all of your posts...but have you tried daisy chaining you HD & your interface to the FW 400 port?.......mine seems to work fine like that.

ok, i just read your original post. i see where you said daisy chaining was supposed to be an issue but it hasn't been with mine so far & i've had this setup since last august. the only problems i had was after i upgraded to PTMP 8. it seems to be running fine now but the way my luck is, i'll prolly turn it on tomorrow & -6101 will show up & the monitor will melt. i wish you luck.