Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-25-2005, 08:11 AM

Default What\'s the smallest lightest hard drive for mobile

OK, I'm finally attempting my dream of taking my sessions out of the studio (Mac HD TDM system) porting them into my 3lb Windows XP based Laptop with a hard drive and PT LE and editing them on the dock overlooking a lake (or something like that). I'm just comping and assembling drums, vox, instruments ect so there's no serious plugin action yet.

So I'm wondering what the smallest hard drive -maybe bus powered so I don't have to lug a power supply - that will give me 32 tracks. Not much to ask of a hard drive these days. I have the tiny LaCie bus powered drive but they don't recomend it for audio. The LaCie Porshe drives are pretty small, but I'm looking for TINY drives that work -hey will my iPod deliver audio ?

Also, while I'm at it, is there perfect compatibility between PC and Mac Pro Tools (v6.4+) systems at this point? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: What\'s the smallest lightest hard drive for mobile

For mobile work, the fastest hard drives available are the Hitachi 7k60 models. They are 7200 rpm, 2.5", 60 Gbyte notebook drives. Put one in a good Firewire case, and you should be able to bus power it from your notebook.

I put one in my Powerbook G4 (1.5Ghz, aluminum) to replace the stock 4200 rpm drive, and it made a huge difference in overall responsiveness. Haven't pushed it to the 32 track level yet, but it works well with 10-12 tracks and is quiet also. Supposedly, there is a 100 Gbyte model coming out, but I haven't seen anyone actually stocking it for sale yet. The 7k60 was a bit hard to find also. I had one on order from Dell for about 6 weeks before I got fed up with their "ship by" dates changing weekly, and bought one in-stock from mwave.com. Got a small FW400/USB case from OWC. About $250 total, but that's the cost of mobility.

rcm
Old 07-25-2005, 01:32 PM

>-hey will my iPod deliver audio<

Your iPod will work perfectly. If it has a large enough capacity for your projects, just set up part of the drive for data storage. I know it will play 24 tracks back with no problems.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: What\'s the smallest lightest hard drive for mo

You mean that little ipod can actually playback tracks? Cool. What the heck, I'll try it, and while I'm at it, I'll try that little LaCie and see what it can do and report back. Thanks for the info folks, if anyone else has some info please let me know!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm finally attempting my dream of taking my sessions out of the studio (Mac HD TDM system) porting them into my 3lb Windows XP based Laptop with a hard drive and PT LE and editing them on the dock overlooking a lake (or something like that). I'm just comping and assembling drums, vox, instruments ect so there's no serious plugin action yet.

So I'm wondering what the smallest hard drive -maybe bus powered so I don't have to lug a power supply - that will give me 32 tracks. Not much to ask of a hard drive these days. I have the tiny LaCie bus powered drive but they don't recomend it for audio. The LaCie Porshe drives are pretty small, but I'm looking for TINY drives that work -hey will my iPod deliver audio ?

Also, while I'm at it, is there perfect compatibility between PC and Mac Pro Tools (v6.4+) systems at this point? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks
I have a powerbook 1.67, with 1.5 gig of ram. I ordered it with the 100 gig drive option, which is a Seagate 5200 rpm, 8meg cache drive, model ST9100823A.

The other day I did a live recording, using two Mackie Onyx mixers, connected to the powerbook via firewire. It had no trouble at all recording 32 tracks (16 bit,44.1) for an hour at a time. I was using Digital Performer 4.6, on OS X 10.4.2. Couldn't use PT for such a thing, for obvious reasons, but I digress.

I'd buy one of these drives, especially considering how well it performed as a startup drive at the same time!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:06 AM

I've been using OWC's "on the go" FW drive. 7200RPM 60gb for $250. Powers off of my Pbook and has worked liked a charm. Goto www.otherworldcomputing.com Using this drive with the mBox has allowed me to edit off battery power at the beach for upto 1 1/2 hours!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:40 AM

OTW On The Go drive: I had this drive for a while. Got it for the purpose of moving PT songs between studios -or an easy way to deliver a big project to someone via fedex. It was great but then one day it fried a well known engineers motherboard, then when they checked it on another computer at that studio, it fried their motherboard as well. I called OTW and they said they'd never heard of that happening with one of their drives. I never touched that particular drive again -didn't even bother pick it up from the studio to have it returned to OTW.

I'm sure if this was a regular happening, we'd have heard about it, or they'd have discontinued it -they do have a good rep, but it gave me the creeps.

Very cool that you can edit on the beach -you're stealing my dream, man!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 AM

I use a Hitachi 7k60 in a mobile case and have run 32 tracks and video off it with no problems.
I've also seen firewire ports on mother boards fry for no reason. My advice is to install a PCI firewire card or a powered firewire hub before you start using firewire drives.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:30 PM

>> I called OTW and they said they'd never heard of that happening with one of their drives.

I have an OWC on the go 60 (7200 rpm 60gig) and it toasted a logicboard on a G5 while under bus power using the front connector.

OWC said, "we never heard of that..."

After reading your post, I think they just simply say that... doesn't mean anything.

Hopefully applecare was purchased?