Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Default PT 11 Automation not engaging correctly

Today I had a producers screening for a feature film. There are 3 phone calls in the film, and NONE of them engaged the automation correctly. It looks like when I have the video offset to 26 qt frames for play back via the Black Magic to my plasma, the automation makes errors.

These three instances of the phone automation not engaging were painfully obvious to all in the room. As soon as I put the video off set back to 0 it played correctly. Of course, as with many of these bugs, it now plays fine even through the Black Magic with the offset to 26 Q frames.

The plugin that I am using to create the phone filter is Equality. BTW, I made sure that there was at least 10 seconds from where the automation engages to where the file starts, so it is not like the automation has to jump and immediately engage (it has about 10 seconds from engagement to playing). There is plenty of time for the automation to kick in, but it did not do it correctly. It kicked in 1/2 way through the telephone conversation. I hate this kind of stuff.

g
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT 11 Automation not engaging correctly

Hello,

Sorry you had to deal with an issue like this, especially in front of clients!

We would like to know a few things about your Pro Tools system. Please indicate the exact version of Pro Tools 11; OS version; Computer Make/Model; HDX/HD Native/Non-HD; Interface(s); parameter(s) being automated, and automation mode on the track(s) affected when the issue occurred. Is this the first time you've encountered an issue with automation playback accuracy? If not, please provide any details you can recall about past instances.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor@@vid View Post
Hello,

Sorry you had to deal with an issue like this, especially in front of clients!

We would like to know a few things about your Pro Tools system. Please indicate the exact version of Pro Tools 11; OS version; Computer Make/Model; HDX/HD Native/Non-HD; Interface(s); parameter(s) being automated, and automation mode on the track(s) affected when the issue occurred. Is this the first time you've encountered an issue with automation playback accuracy? If not, please provide any details you can recall about past instances.

Thanks for your help!
I can send you the session without sound, although I already printed the effect on the phone calls. I can also e-mail you my complete specs right from my computer Apple info pane. My hardware is HDX with one 8X8 new i/o.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I can send you the session without sound, although I already printed the effect on the phone calls. I can also e-mail you my complete specs right from my computer Apple info pane. My hardware is HDX with one 8X8 new i/o.
Are you referring to plugin automation or volume automation on the track with the plugin on it?

Dev
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dford View Post
Are you referring to plugin automation or volume automation on the track with the plugin on it?

Dev
It was the Equality plugin automation not engaging correctly. The PT volume automation seemed OK and there is extensive 'clip gain auto and volume auto' as I do not use a compressor and all DX is hand microdynamics. I should say that all my DX tracks (may be 12 tracks) have Equality - Cedar DNS- and there is extensive plugin automation on every DX line on the film. All the plugin automation as well as the PT automation has worked perfectly but the phone conversations did not engage correctly.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Avid

I will PM you for further details.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM

I think I have seen similar issues with Equilibrium FWIW...
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Avid

Hello,

Would you still be able to send us a session, garnoil? Check your PM inbox. You can either message me a dropbox link or any other transfer service you care to use, or we can proceed through the support case system via e-mail.

Thanks,
Connor
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor@@vid View Post
Hello,

Would you still be able to send us a session, garnoil? Check your PM inbox. You can either message me a dropbox link or any other transfer service you care to use, or we can proceed through the support case system via e-mail.

Thanks,
Connor
Yes! I am sorry I have been too busy to follow up (today I finished the mix for that film). I will look at my PM later tonight and send you the session asap. Sorry about the delay, but I am very happy that you will look into this.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM

I too have seen issues with "Equality" and the Hi Pass EQ. For example"
I write 24db/octave Hi Pass for 2 min
I go back and it only plays back as a 18db/octave.
There is an issue with Equality.
I can reproduce it 100% of the time.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.