Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 02:35 PM

Default Apogee Rosetta and Focusrite Octo Pre

Hello all, Let me first say it has been a great help to me to have all the information on the DUC available to assist me with problems. I'm now about to purchase a few new itmes and would love some input on them and if they would be good purchases to use with my 001 setup. The items are:
1. Apogee Rosetta (are the A/D's alot better and will having this set as my master clock improve the quality of things recorded thru the 001?)
2. Focusrite Octo Pre With A/D(lightpipe) card
(how are the preamps on this compared to the voicemaster, and how are the A/D's compared to the 001?)
3. 2 condensers to use mostly as overheads. I know this is a very opinion based question but it's nice to have everyones opinion. The mics in the running are : Shure KSM27, KSm32, AKG C414, and any others someone might suggest.

The goal of these purchases and the whole putting together of the studio in general is to make recordings that sound as close to what is on the radio as possible, for my band, friends and occasional clients.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Kevin

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2002, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Apogee Rosetta and Focusrite Octo Pre

Hi

can't answer on the Rosetta since I haven't used one, but surely it will improve the quality a lot over the stock 001 converters; same thing with the Octopre: I have one, and I really like it's preamp circuit (I belive it's almost similar to the one in the Voice master, since the Platinum line design is shared by all of the products), clean and crisp with lots of dynamics, a good deal for the price. I used it without the A/D card the first time (I had a problem with it and they replaced it with a new one, which was shipped separately), so I can't report on the difference, I belive the A/D will improve the sound even further.

As for mics, well. I didn't audition the Shure, but I keep reading lots of good things about them; the 414s are just a surefire must have in a well equipped mic locker (IMO), they are killer on OHs, piano, strings, acoustic guitar; I have used them lots of times, and consider them a "classic"; if your budget allows I'd get a stereo matched pair.

Hope this helps

L.G.