Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 04:42 AM

Default ProTools LE MAJOR CRASH

Hello All!

I'm new to the boards here and I see this may be an extremely useful board for my occasional problems and even to help other ProTools users. I just recently bought an Mbox to take care of some of my editing needs (been using a 001 for 5 years i think now) so i would consider myself quite protools savvy. Here's my problem: When I launch protools... I let it sit alone and do not touch any keys... I can count to 30 seconds and almost to the second ProTools unexpectedly quits.. When it does launch all the way I click on the FIle Menu but when i select New or Open... the screen freezes for a second... then BAM a new unexpectedly quit window pops up with me to send the report to Apple.... WHY IS PROTOOLS DOING THIS!

System Config:
PB 1GHz 15in TiBook
1GB RAM
60GB HD + 200+GB outboard Firewire drives (all worked fine before)
Cinema Display
ProTools LE 6.4

I have updated the firmware on the Mbox to the latest. By the way ProTools did this before 6.4 as well tho it was a little bit more random as to when there would be a crash. I DEPEND upon this system and now I feel stuck. I've repaired permissions... I've reinstalled PT I have all the requirements needed... i have no idea why this thing isn't working... this is extremely aggrivating and all I can say is I'm glad I wasn't dependent upon this setup along while i was on tour. Logic Pro 6.4 works fine using the Mbox as it's main output and inputs... the only problem is ProTools... whats the deal? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-Chris-
Old 04-27-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Re: ProTools LE MAJOR CRASH

Apple PowerBook G4 — Mbox Requirements

With Pro Tools LE 6.4 for Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following PowerBook G4 models are compatible, but have not been fully tested and qualified with Digidesign Mbox systems and Pro Tools LE 6.4. These models may be able to provide full track count performance, however, they cannot be guaranteed to do so. Your performance and track count may vary depending on the processor count and speed.

Apple PowerBook G4 Computers Supported:

Model & Processor
LCD Screen

PowerBook G4 867 MHz 15 Inch Display
PowerBook G4 1 GHz 15 Inch Display
PowerBook G4 1 GHz 17 Inch Display
PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz 15 Inch Display
PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz 17 Inch Display

Hope this helps a little as you didnt say which OS you are using.
Also be aware of the opening statement.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:16 AM

As of LE6.2.3 - 6.4 They are only compatible with Panther 10.3.x

Welcome to the "Duck".

dk
Old 04-27-2004, 11:32 AM

Having same exact problem here. Earlier version of LE crashed on occasion so I upgraded to 6.4 to go with my Panther version 10.3.3. 6.4 worked ok for a couple of days but today, BOOM! Am now having same symptoms as first poster. Help us!

G5 dual 2ghz
cinema display
internal 250 gig (x2)
panther 10.3.3
mbox
Old 04-27-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Apple PowerBook G4 — Mbox Requirements

With Pro Tools LE 6.4 for Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Hope this helps a little as you didnt say which OS you are using.
Also be aware of the opening statement.

What do you mean be aware of the opening statement?

I am currently running 10.3.3.... I was also running 10.3.2 and got the same problems as I have with 10.3.3. What I'm curious about is how come my friends PowerBook (EXACT same configuration.. born 1 month apart) has no problems...

-Chris-
Old 04-27-2004, 04:28 PM

I have close to the same setup as you (minus the cinema display) and haven't had any problems yet with 6.4. What other applications do you have installed on your system? No Norton right? Any other 3rd party or APE utilities? What about USB devices - do you have a hub or anything other than keyboard or mouse attached? Since I and your both are running fine with a similar setup, I'd start looking at software and hardware not related to Protools for your problems. Also run the apple hardware test CD that came with your TiBook and make sure that your RAM passes etc.

BTW, he means this opening statement "The following PowerBook G4 models are compatible, but have not been fully tested and qualified with Digidesign Mbox systems and Pro Tools LE 6.4. "
Old 04-27-2004, 05:15 PM

I had the same problem and it ended up being a third party application. I can't quite remember which one exaclty as I uninstalled all of them that I did not need. I know it is a pain, but you may have to spend some time trying this method. BTW it is the only time I have ever had a problem since I purchased my set-up over a year ago. I also made sure I ran everything USB related straight to the Mac.

Dual G4 1.25
Jaguar OSX
MBOX 6.1.2
Samson control room
Reason, Spectrasonics, Live, Amplitube, T-racks, Plugsound, and some Freebies.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Slim Shady,
Boy do i feel like such a goober....

I totally forgot that I had Norton SystemWorks still installed from when I had to run some disk utilities on some hard drives.... I feel really stupid. To test i uninstalled Norton SystemWorks using this uninstaller:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...nUninstall.sit

The uninstall utility that comes with Norton doesn't work.... go figure. This one is a terminal Application that allows you to uninstall all Symantec components in one fell swoop... kinda nice.

I also thought maybe FruitMenu (gives you the customizable OS 9 Apple Menu in OS X) by Unsanity (www.unsanity.com) could have been a culprit. So after uninstalling Norton i left FruitMenu running while ProTools was running through a session over and over... no problems.... actually im t yping this while my session is playing and FruitMenu is enabled. So it was norton this whole time. I should have known it was Norton but i thought i had it disabled but apparently you need to have it removed entirely from your Hard Drive.... THANKS AGAIN

-Chris-
Old 04-27-2004, 06:01 PM

don't use norton if you're on a mac. Use Tech Tool, or disk warrior! With a brand new computer I would just go ahead and do a complete system restore, so you know everything is starting from 0.