Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2017, 10:19 PM

Default Re: If I use a crap HD to copy audio files, would it cause any problems?

How is anyone here gonna be able to assure you that "any" file copy is going to work? No one here will ever be able to ease your mind so try it and hope it works.

I for one would have thrown out that drive a long time ago and not wasted all this time here asking and asking .. if you know the drive is ****t why are you even trying to use it? You are asking for trouble here with this way of operating.

This whole thread (32 posts already) went wrong from the first post i.e I have a crap drive thats broken and I wanna use it for copying audio files .. Right there this went to hell and then kept going !! A drive is less than $50 and if you can't afford that instead of wasting time here with this "crap drive" maybe you should rethink this whole music venture. We all buy drives quite often wheather we like it or not as stuff breaks .. nothing new there and that applies to all things.

Lets put this thread to sleep now and move on ... please ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-29-2017, 10:36 PM

Default Re: If I use a crap HD to copy audio files, would it cause any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
I have copied around 50 audio files(each file is one tracks) using a USB stick. I occasionally found 1 audio file has problem(half of that file turns into white noise) by ear human listening. Next time I’m going to copy 100 audio files, I want to know I can trust the copy, otherwise I’ll have to use my ear and listen to all that 100 audio files to make sure there’s nothing wrong. I don’t want to use a lot of time to listen thru all that copied 100 audio files, that’s why I asked if I can trust those copied files. If I have issues I know how to track each step , but the thing here is , when copying 100 audio files, I don’t know if there’s an issue or not, and I can’t listen thru them all to check them.
The problem is , I don’t know if the copy has caused any issue, maybe it’s not like last time half of the audio turns into white noise, it could be only 1 second of white noise...

That’s why I asked if if the target disk is in great shape,the copy completed without any errors, and the mount/unmount is successful, application like pro tools is closed totally before copying, then at this time should I trust the copy is perfect.
You are still asking the same nonsense stupid questions. And gobblegook about drives in "great shape" etc. What do you even mean by that? And how would you tell? (no I really don't want an answer).

I'm not asking you to guess what was going on I'm trying to help you see if you can work it out. Do you still have any of those files? On three different media? Why can't you go calculate their checksums? You apparently have not even looked to see if the file on disk really is different or if it's Pro Tools on a different system behaving like it is.

Next time you have to use you ear to confirm the files are all OK? Have you tried to read what has been written in this thread? Like that you could calculate checksums on those files, a one line shell command ("cksum *") to do that for every file in the session, likely takes a few seconds to do.

If you don't understand what a checksum is or how to calculate it you could ask (half this thread ago).

I don't think you've ever given a clear answer to the initial problem here, like how you copied the files, wether you were sure Pro Tools had closed the session or how you are unmounted the USB stick or what filesystems you have on things, wether you ran a filesystem check or looked at SMART status, etc. etc. Nothing.

All you are doing is a Dr. Szell impression and keep asking "Is it safe?". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A

So yes its safe, very safe. And I can now ignore this thread.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-29-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
How is anyone here gonna be able to assure you that "any" file copy is going to work? No one here will ever be able to ease your mind so try it and hope it works.

I for one would have thrown out that drive a long time ago and not wasted all this time here asking and asking .. if you know the drive is ****t why are you even trying to use it? You are asking for trouble here with this way of operating.

This whole thread (32 posts already) went wrong from the first post i.e I have a crap drive thats broken and I wanna use it for copying audio files .. Right there this went to hell and then kept going !! A drive is less than $50 and if you can't afford that instead of wasting time here with this "crap drive" maybe you should rethink this whole music venture. We all buy drives quite often wheather we like it or not as stuff breaks .. nothing new there and that applies to all things.

Lets put this thread to sleep now and move on ... please ...
Well unlike most of us who normally works at a studio, I travel a lot in a year and I am a very very frequent flyer, I carry all of hard drives very very frequent and fly with me, pack them, get them out, go thru airport security, put them in again... You’ll easily hit a hard drive or have one fall on the floor if your work requires you to fly a lot in a month, and nobody wants buy a bunch of hard drives every month. Everyone’s working condition is different so don’t project your working condition to others. I’m only asking a technical question, and I expect answers from a technical side, not practical side.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Well unlike most of us who normally works at a studio, I travel a lot in a year and I am a very very frequent flyer, I carry all of hard drives very very frequent and fly with me, pack them, get them out, go thru airport security, put them in again... You’ll easily hit a hard drive or have one fall on the floor if your work requires you to fly a lot in a month, and nobody wants buy a bunch of hard drives every month. Everyone’s working condition is different so don’t project your working condition to others. I’m only asking a technical question, and I expect answers from a technical side, not practical side.
You are not asking any technical questions here. You are asking nonsense questions with a few technical words sprinkled around them seeking some absolute assurance that nobody could possibly make.

Now what does dropping disk drives have to do with anything. Guess what if you drop a HDD you can lose everything on it. If you are worried about dropping disk drives why are you carrying HDD not SSD around with you? Where are your duplicate local backups? Remote backups, including backup for this to the cloud? Why are you experienced data loss and not tracked that down? Why are you using devices that may be damaged?

If I was working with you or looking to hire you I would be scared to death from what I'm reading here. If this is anything more than a hobby for you please find somebody to help you with data handling, backups etc.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are not asking any technical questions here. You are asking nonsense questions with a few technical words sprinkled around them seeking some absolute assurance that nobody could possibly make.

Now what does dropping disk drives have to do with anything. Guess what if you drop a HDD you can lose everything on it. If you are worried about dropping disk drives why are you carrying HDD not SSD around with you? Where are your duplicate local backups? Remote backups, including backup for this to the cloud? Why are you experienced data loss and not tracked that down? Why are you using devices that may be damaged?

If I was working with you or looking to hire you I would be scared to death from what I'm reading here. If this is anything more than a hobby for you please find somebody to help you with data handling, backups etc.

Well, you said you gonna ignore this posts, why are you still responding? I’ve post this thread in this forum and other forums and I just got clear answers from the good people of this forum and other forums. I’m not asking for your answers.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 AM

Last word of advice: every drive in history that has failed, worked fine right up until then

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-04-2017, 02:06 AM

Default My Pro Tools audio file drive hit the floor at the airport

I fly to a city and spent hours recording with local musicians, mixing, and mastering and I get around 80 tracks ready.

My client want me to fly back to our city and copy the 80 tracks to my client, but the HDD/SDD which contains that 80 final mix tracks fall from the desk and hit the floor at the security check of the airport... When I got back to my studio, yes that HDD/SDD can still be read and I can still copy all the 80 audio tracks/files out, but can I trust that copied 80 audio tracks/files?

Should I listen thru all that 80 audio tracks one by one? It will take a lot of time...
(I have a experience of copying files using a crap USB stick, yes audio files can be copied using that USB stick but one audio file got corrupted : half length of that audio turns into white noise. White noise are easily found, but how about some hard-to-find problems such as a range of frequency are missing at extreme conditions?) (I've posted a similar post but that's focusing on technical side, now this is for practical side)

Thank you

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 11-04-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Duplicate threads merged and moved to appropriate forum.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:36 AM

Default Re: My Pro Tools audio file drive hit the floor at the airport

Holy crap. This again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 AM

This gotta be a joke right Thinkin' Merge time on this so he can use his own thread.

Who the Hell drops a harddrive in the airport floor?? Especially and mysteriously with 80tracks which was what he was on about in the other "never ending story" thread .... Can he see the future ???

We been recording on the go with artists like Avicii. SHM, Axwel and popstars for 10 years running thru hotelroom corridoors , airports and carparks looking for a rental etc etc and NEVER dropped any drives ever ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 AM

I took the flight 4 days ago, and it did happen because someone at the airport security check is reckless... Now this is for real life, I would appreciate answers on the how we should treat this on the technical side instead of accusing other people being careless or how imperfect the world is.