Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Training

Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Room sound treatment

Hello all.

I have been thinking about adding more of a home theatre setup to the TV room. The room is 28' x 22'6" with a high ceiling, so should have potential for good sound.

As it is, there is a terrible slap back echo and poor acoustics, just a fatiguing room response. After going online to search basics, it's worse than before I started. The amount of information and complexity in acoustic engineering is truly depressing. I just keep thinking it can't always be that complicated to get a room to behave.

It's now time to tap the vast resources of the mighty DUC brain trust.

I have watched a bunch of YT Vids. Researched different audio boards online. Downloaded Room EQ Wizard (Good Grief). Got the Beringer ECM8000 and did some testing. It's all good, but I'm also looking for basic things that are common to most listening rooms. I'm not opposed to spending some money, but I have time to build things and would prefer that option where possible. Especially such as diffusion, adsorption, etc.

I also have a fair amount of gear collected over the years. Yamaha home theatre amp, nice Klipsch home theatre speaker setup, two 12" subs with plenty of power. I could use the Yamaha or Apogee Quartet for the surround sound. Adding cable or wiring is no problem with access from the basement below. The Apple airport express units have worked well for whole house and party type distributed audio setups, using Rogue Amoeba software. There is also the option of building amps and smaller boards like the Raspberry Pi, and lots of options for software.

Im wondering if anyone has experience building or modifying existing to a nice home entertainment space with good results.

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Room sound treatment

Try these sites:

www.ethanwiner.com

www.realtraps.com

www.gikacoustics.com
Old 01-18-2017, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Room sound treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylie6 View Post
I'm not opposed to spending some money, but I have time to build things and would prefer that option where possible. Especially such as diffusion, adsorption, etc.
I saw an article on Pro Tools Expert:
Create Studio Sound Panels & Gobos Using IKEA Bookcases
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...bookcases.html

I haven't tried this idea myself, but I think it should have several advantages:
1. Fairly easy to build - IKEA has done most of the work.
2. A greater thickness of mineral wool/fiberglass than "hang on the wall" options.
3. Portable so you can tune your room.
4. They could be combined with other IKEA bookshelves (used for books) and its wooden CD/DVD racks.