Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Default Create, open and Save Pro Tools Session Issue

Hey guys,

i have Pro Tools 12 installed in my iMac, and my sessions are located in a External Disk (Drobo connected to a Mac Mini).

When i try to open an existing session, Pro Tools shows me the message: "Another user has this session open already. The session will open as read only and you will be allowed to do a "Save As"". So the session opens, i can play stuff, edit them, but i can`t save, or save as, even save copy in.

When i try to save, Pro Tools shows me other message: Could not save as "Squadro - Kinoplex (Aí sim, a experiência é outra) - Spot 02 teste" because Permission denied (13) while opening "vvqpVHHJrczmBMPX".

When i try to create a new session, the message is: Could not complete your request because Permission denied (13) while opening "New Session.ptx".

When i try to use TCE, Pro Tools shows me the message: Could not complete your request because Permission denied (13) while opening "Au1_1_XFor_dyzyBRBBbvzrRRYV.aif".

The Backup Autosave doesn`t work too.

Seems like a permission issue, but i tried a lot of stuff, and nothing worked. All the permissions on the server are set to "Read and Write".

Can you guys help me?

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Create, open and Save Pro Tools Session Issue

Same problem here when I am opening files over the network on my second machine. Files open fine on the local machine. Any Ideas?

Mac Pro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32gig ram
PT HD 12 with D-Command 24
Apogee Ensamble Thunderbolt
UAD2 Octo x2
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmobrj View Post
Hey guys,

i have Pro Tools 12 installed in my iMac, and my sessions are located in a External Disk (Drobo connected to a Mac Mini).

When i try to open an existing session, Pro Tools shows me the message: "Another user has this session open already. The session will open as read only and you will be allowed to do a "Save As"". So the session opens, i can play stuff, edit them, but i can`t save, or save as, even save copy in.

When i try to save, Pro Tools shows me other message: Could not save as "Squadro - Kinoplex (Aí sim, a experiência é outra) - Spot 02 teste" because Permission denied (13) while opening "vvqpVHHJrczmBMPX".

When i try to create a new session, the message is: Could not complete your request because Permission denied (13) while opening "New Session.ptx".

When i try to use TCE, Pro Tools shows me the message: Could not complete your request because Permission denied (13) while opening "Au1_1_XFor_dyzyBRBBbvzrRRYV.aif".

The Backup Autosave doesn`t work too.

Seems like a permission issue, but i tried a lot of stuff, and nothing worked. All the permissions on the server are set to "Read and Write".

Can you guys help me?

Thanks,
You are wasting time here by not providing useful information. Like... what exact model Drobo, how exactly is it connected (is it even direct attached or NAS?), what exact file system is on the device, OS and version, etc.

..but in this case I'm guessing you have basic permissions wrong. The user ID of the remote user and the local user/files are probably different and the network user likely has no permission to write to the directory. Simple as that. Nothing Pro Tools specific here, you need to look at what user ID the network user is using and see if they can touch/create new files on the filesystem (the touch command line utility is handy to check stuff like this, see man touch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-14-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrowerks View Post
Same problem here when I am opening files over the network on my second machine. Files open fine on the local machine. Any Ideas?

Yes, you are doing something wrong.

Oh you want to know what.... that would take you sharing some actual details... like how exactly are you opening files over the network? What exact model Dobro? Using what network/file sharing protocol? (AFS, NFS, CIFS, iSCSI???). From what exact client, host and Drobo box? What filesystem is on the Drobo? What user ID is the network user vs. the local user? Does the network user have write permissions on the relevant files
and folders?

On low-end boxes like these you should probably not be trying to run live sessions over a network anyhow. Disk cache can do a lot, but I would rather aim for rock solid reliability and copy the session to the local drives and use there then copy back, manually maintaining a list of archive/recovery archives on the NAS.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-14-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 AM

Hi,

we're seeing this at our studio as well.
We use 2 Mac Pros (late 2013, 64GB RAM, 3,5GHz Xeon E5).
One of them has got a Thunderbolt Pegasus 2 R4 attached as an external drive and the other one is connected to the first via Thunderbolt Bridging.
This setup has worked flawlessly for years but updating to High Sierra from Sierra and PT HD 12.8.3 from 12.8.2 initiated this problem.

OS Sharing, Permissions and PT Workspace drive settings (R) all look the same as before the problem started.
I will post if we find a solution.

BR,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 AM

And again... much more useful information needed...

Thunderbolt bridging is just a MAC Layer connection, no different than using say Ethernet. So every other question and suggested tests made asked above applies here as well....

Don’t just say things have not changed, the computer is right in front of you... what is the actual remote user ID, actual local user ID, what actual permissions do they have on the filesystem, can they touch a file on that filesystem, etc. if you are stuck on what that means just ask (or Google will probably get you there as well).

And did you convert that drive to AFS or is it still HFS+?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-15-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:14 PM

Hi,

this is what I wrote to Avid CS after my initial phone call
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Michael,

this is John with whom you talked on the phone earlier.
I’m sorry for the inconvenience with the email addresses, I presumed my email '[email protected]’ was registered since I have been in contact with Avid Support earlier.

Anyways, I am going to try to explain the problem in writing as well as I can without writing a novel;-)

For several years, we have been running 2 Pro Tools HD systems on 2 Mac Pro’s in adjoining rooms, where Mac Pro 1 has had a Pegasus 2 R4 TB drive connected as a local Audio drive (HFS+).
Mac Pro 2 has accessed this shared drive via SMB over a TB bridge. We have been running Sessions, recording and mixing in both rooms all this time with no problems.
Also, now and then this drive has been accessed via network from our MacBook Pro’s running Pro Tools. Also without problems.

Last week, we decided to update the 2 Mac Pro’s from macOS Sierra (10.12.6) to macOS High Sierra (10.13.2) and also update Pro Tools HD 12.8.2 to 12.8.3 in both rooms.
Since then, it is not possible to open a Pro Tools Session on a computer with macOS High Sierra unless it is the Mac Pro 1, which has the Audio drive locally connected.
All Finder actions, like copying, moving, deleting, etc. work fine whether it is on Mac Pro 1, Mac Pro 2 or any network connected MacBook Pro.
We can also create, open, delete, re-save Logic X Projects across the computers on the Pegasus Audio drive.

If we open a Pro Tools Session on the Pegasus Audio drive connected to Mac Pro 1 via the network on a MacBook Pro with macOS Sierra (10.12.6) and Pro Tools 12.8.3, it works as normal.
If we perform the same test on a MacBook Pro which has been updated to macOS High Sierra, it fails.
And again, this concerns only opening Pro Tools Sessions, in every other aspect, communication works as expected between the computers.
We have also tried with attaching another drive to Mac Pro 1 and have received the very same results; everything else works as expected but only a computer running macOS Sierra can open Pro Tools Sessions via TB Bridge or Network.

What we have noticed is that when we open the Session as read-only on Mac Pro 2 or the MacBook Pro with High Sierra, the temp file created in the Session folder does not get deleted when we exit, regardless if try to 'Save as’ or not.
If this temp file still is in the Session folder when we go to the MacBook Pro with Sierra/PT 12.8.3 and try to open it, it fails.
If we delete this temp file, the very same MacBook Pro on macOS Sierra can open the Session via network again.

I attach system reports and Screen Shots:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's not in there is that regardless of how we access the Mac and drive(SMB-TB Bridge/AFP-Ethernet/Wi-fi), it's with the Mac Pro 1's User login. That's how we've done it for... 4 years, I think?

If I get a solution from Avid CS, I'll post it here but right now it seems our best bet is to roll back to Sierra.

BR,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 1.jpg (40.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2.jpg (64.3 KB, 0 views)
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 PM

Wow, great notes and work noticing the temp file! Hopefully Avid customer support can get right on this.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 AM

OK,

apparently we did not try with AFP correctly before, since turning SMB off in the Sharing Preferences on the Mac Pro 1 with the drive attached makes it work as normal.
So, you guys can try turning SMB off and only use AFP.
The issue is then with Pro Tools on High Sierra and SMB.
I've updated our case with Avid with this info.

BR,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Shutting off SMB did the trick for me too. Thanks for the help.

Just an FYI this seems to be a Pro Tools only problem. I can open, save, save as no problem in logic and many other apps.

Mac Pro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32gig ram
PT HD 12 with D-Command 24
Apogee Ensamble Thunderbolt
UAD2 Octo x2