Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Newbie problems with drums latency

I'm new to this , i have protools 9 and im using keystation mini and korg nanopad2 to record midi.

My problem is i just cant figure out how to decrease the latency as much as possible ,i just buyed a new macbook pro so i don't think it is because of my computer.

thanks ,first post
Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Newbie problems with drums latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetah View Post
I'm new to this , i have protools 9 and im using keystation mini and korg nanopad2 to record midi.

My problem is i just cant figure out how to decrease the latency as much as possible ,i just buyed a new macbook pro so i don't think it is because of my computer.

thanks ,first post
What exact interface (make/model) are you using? How is it connected to the MacBook Pro? (since a few interfaces have multiple IO features).

How exactly is this latency causing problems? The drummer monitoring in headphones? Other band members monitoring? (if you have multiple monitoring/cue mixes try to describe them since that affects low latency capabilities with some interfaces). Describe this exactly so we make sure to solve the right problem.

The main determinant of latency is the disk IO buffer size in Pro Tools. But differnet interfaces will offer other feateurs such as low latency or zero latency (hardware monitoring).

What is your playback engine buffer setting? And all other Playback Engine settings? What does your sessions look like, how many tracks, how many simultaneous recording? Any VIs or other plugins running (these affect how small a buffer you can go down to). What is the session sample rate?

And to be totally clear you are talking about a real drum kit not a virtual instrument (I assume real, but have got used to asking for good reason).

In general please read the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link at the top of this page. This discussion may well quickly take us into places where we need to know more about your Mac configuration. So please post that info as asked about in that link here, including describing all your disk drives.

Darryl