Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Default I don't understand what the meters are telling me!!

Hi All,

I have a dbx166 compressor hooked up as an i/o insert on my master fader to add a little mix buss compression and raise the overall level to get test mixes near a commercial level for my clients to check.

When the compressor is inserted as an i/o however no matter how hard I drive the output of the compressor it never registers as a red clip on the master fader.

(a) If I insert the TLLabs master meter after the dbx compressor it registers clips all over the place.

(b)If I insert the BFMaster Meter after the compressor set to "peak" and "0" it shows the output level not above 0db on the VU meters.

Something is up! (probally me not understanding what the $#%%% I am doing!)

Can anyone explain how I should be setting this all up so what I am seeing on my master meters is actually accurate and showing red if the digital levels go over odb and why does the DBX not clip no matter how hard I drive the output?

Thanks

JohnG
320GB Internal HD
70GB-OWC Firewire Audio Drive
Digidesign 003Factory, MPT2, Protools 8.0.3
Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Default Re: I don't understand what the meters are telling me!!

I'm not familiar with the DBX but does the unit have separate +4/-10 output options? Either by switch or by way of separate XLR and Line.

Based on the above does the +4/-10 switches on the back of the 003 match that of the DBX.

Are your cables balanced or unbalanced. Pretty sure it's +4 for balanced and -10 for unbalanced.

Can anybody else chime in and confirm?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM

This is from SOS and was easier than typing it myself "insert sections on Master faders are post-fader, so if you're using insert processing on the Master, the true final output level is reflected on the output level metering of the last insert rather than the Master metering. Look at this, rather than the Master level metering, to see if you're going into the red." if you would like a pre fader insert use an Aux input as a "bus" and router (bus) your mix into the aux channel put your insert on the aux chanel (bus)
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 AM

My advice would be to nix the 166 and buy Massey's L2007 mastering limiter plugin. Its all of $89 and should outperform the 166 in every way, To me, the 166 has always been a cheap live compressor with a barely functional gate feature. Not something I want to run my entire mix thru. Sometimes plugins are just better than hardware

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My advice would be to nix the 166 and buy Massey's L2007 mastering limiter plugin. Its all of $89 and should outperform the 166 in every way, To me, the 166 has always been a cheap live compressor with a barely functional gate feature. Not something I want to run my entire mix thru. Sometimes plugins are just better than hardware
Whilst the L2 is my go-to, I'll second the L2007, (it's my second choice for fast and easy), as a must-have plug for anyone getting into this...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 AM

totally with you guys on the plugs but if he does get something like a real pair of teletronix he should know how to use it.

(lol this is a conversation i bang my head on daily. One of the studios I manage seems to "acquire" new gear that does more harm than good to the audio path daily soooooo frustrating, guess i gave up)