Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM
SKnote

Default AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Hi, I'm Quinto from www.sknote.it, we develop software and hardware for audio world.

We recently were tempted to jump into AAX-DSP development. It is a fantastic system, it is relatively simple to do while porting the code to AAX, it is the right time to do it.

The startup is quite a serious effort for a small company, a good hardware system from AVID is needed for testing, a development system from Texas Instruments for coding and debugging, time and energy to acquire the right, specific experience are stolen from other activities. But we have a solid background.

We don't know if DSP world is waiting for us, so we got the idea to try crowd-funding.
If you are interested in seeing one small, strongly motivated company come to DSP world you can do it. Rewards are great, they are the licenses for the first products!

It is a small project but will let us in a new state, with hardware, experience and know how to extend all our offering (present and future) available for this fantastic system.

Here is the project on kickstarter.com:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-audio-plugins

Audio world is connected, word of mouth is what can make it happen.

For any question: write here or to quintosardo at yahoo dot it.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

This is a very interesting idea you have here. I don't know much about crowd funding, but I believe that you should consider having a lower tier or tiers as well, say 30€ and a discount or 60 euro and one plugin. 300 is a big spend in plugins today. Not in dsp versions, perhaps, but still. :)

Phone +46707773443
Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 PM
SKnote

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Thanks Johan!

Well, it is a bit like a test threshold. If the part of existing DSP world we can reach is not even interested in getting five plugins for 60$ each, the market is not there for us (or we don't have the resources to reach it).

Do DSP users want a small and dynamic company at reach, knowing they can also drive its development choices somehow? That's how I'd like to look.
If the answer will be "yes but 60$ max", the real answer will be "no"
Or we simply aren't spending the resources needed to be seen, that is the same problem on an investment perspective.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 AM

It is still worth considering whether you offer something like "invest 100 dollars today and get a 150 dollar discount once the bundle is released" which is a no-risk offer for you and someone not willing to pay 300 dollars upfront might still like to support for a hundred while waiting for the product.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
This is a very interesting idea you have here. I don't know much about crowd funding, but I believe that you should consider having a lower tier or tiers as well, say 30€ and a discount or 60 euro and one plugin. 300 is a big spend in plugins today. Not in dsp versions, perhaps, but still. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is still worth considering whether you offer something like "invest 100 dollars today and get a 150 dollar discount once the bundle is released" which is a no-risk offer for you and someone not willing to pay 300 dollars upfront might still like to support for a hundred while waiting for the product.
I agree with these suggestions.

I have no problem paying more than €60 for an AAX-DSP plug-in, but I rarely buy bundles, and I wouldn't want to commit to paying for all 5 plug-ins.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:27 AM
SKnote

You rule, look the the pledge options
Old 09-09-2015, 03:01 AM

What I'd like to see is a (small) company specializing in porting *any" plugins to AAX-DSP and thus being able to help other companies port their plugins to AAX-DSP.
We've all heard the experience from Kush Audio (see the article up on www.pro-tools-expert.com).
Old 09-09-2015, 03:18 AM
SKnote

You need to have a total insight on the code, which isn't a simple thing to manage.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyko View Post
What I'd like to see is a (small) company specializing in porting *any" plugins to AAX-DSP and thus being able to help other companies port their plugins to AAX-DSP.
We've all heard the experience from Kush Audio (see the article up on www.pro-tools-expert.com).

What a great idea!!
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -
Old 09-09-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
You need to have a total insight on the code, which isn't a simple thing to manage.
That's true for any kind of consulting services. But you do not need the AAX-DSP knowhow and most probably not even the tool- and build-chain.

So I'd like to see a company not porting their own plugins to AAX-DSP but a company specializing into porting per se.

I'd help sponsoring that effort by getting some kind of voucher to be used for buying ported plugins.

BTW the link to the Kush Audio story: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...sp-development

Last edited by skyko; 09-09-2015 at 05:36 AM. Reason: added link to story