Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2015, 10:16 AM
SKnote

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

I modified my signature, in the meanwhile
Old 10-25-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Only 8 backers??? I am not an HDX user but I certainly expected more than that considering the amount of HDX users that complain about the lack of plugins all the time. I think this is the reason many plugin devs are not taking the chance and can't blame them.
The question is how to reach them. I dont know the exact numbers but one year ago, more than 15 000 systems were sold.
So i think it's just finding the right way to reach them. Maybe Avid could help.
But not sure that kickstarter is the best way!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Well I'm an HDX user and I would gladly see more DSP PIs. I just bought BX_Console in fact. Here's a simple reason why I did not back up quintosardo's project: distrust. Fact based on my previous experience where my company paid 35.000€ to an Italian company for a particular hardware unit (5x pcs). Their website was perfect and the company was actually recommended to us by a Canadian company who had a list of providers that have developed a HW unit suited for a particular purpose. After months of screwing with us they just ignored all the calls/emails/legal letters. Fact: both Slovenia and Italy are EU (in fact we are neighbours). Fact: we sued the company but the legal system in Italy does not work at all. Fact: I know that quintosardo's company has not produced a single AAX PI (native or DSP) so they might have a superb product or complete rubbish. Fact: I know that I would get the money back from KickStarter if the project was unsuccesful. Fact: I need to see first if they can deliver before they can have my money. Fact: in the current state to me personally this all reminds me way too much on my previous dealings with the company described above. Fact: I will not even bother to spend a cent before I have something concrete from this company to see and hear for myself.

Disclaimer: I hereby fully acknowledge that quintosardo's company has nothing to do with the company I dealt with described above. They might be completely honest and have great products worth 500€ per PI. And if that's the case I would be completely happy to purchase the product(s).

The Great Truth: until they can deliver and show that they have PIs worth my money there will be no financial support from me. Period. When I founded my own company I had to take a bank loan which was secured by my personal real estate and stuff. I could have lost everything, but I believed in MY project. I was prepared to take the risk. If this company believes that they have what it takes to enter the DSP market and take a piece of the revenues of the pro community then by all means please take a loan to buy the HDX card and do your coding and framework so that it will work in DSP enviroment. Kickstarter only makes me more suscpicious and my guts are telling me to stay the hell out of this one. Rude? Maybe, but it's my plain and simple belief which I think I'm entitled to.

All the best regardless of what I may or may not think.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post

Fact: I know that quintosardo's company has not produced a single AAX PI (native or DSP) so they might have a superb product or complete rubbish.

Not having any previous history providing plug-ins for Pro Tools was a serious handicap to this endeavour, but that is easily (and will apparently be imminently) remedied, in terms of AAX Native support.

That said, they do have a history in terms of both plug-ins, and hardware products.

There's nothing to stop you demoing one of the available 3rd party VST host plug-ins, and SKNote's existing plug-ins simultaneously.

Quote:

Fact: I need to see first if they can deliver before they can have my money.

Fact: I will not even bother to spend a cent before I have something concrete from this company to see and hear for myself.

The same could also be said of Avid's new business model.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Well I'm an HDX user and I would gladly see more DSP PIs. I just bought BX_Console in fact.
I had similar reason for not backing this kickstarter.

I don't want ANY old AAX-DSP plugs - I want AAX-DSP versions of the plugs I use everyday, which are stuck in AAX-Native.

If any of the following did this I'dve backed them:
  • Slate VCC
  • A Neve/API Console [I'll likely purchase the bx_console]
  • fabfilter Q2, DS, L, MB
  • all Kush/Sly-fi plugs
  • a true compete for the UAD 1073 MkII
  • a great delay line like Waves H-Delay/ST EchoBoy

That's what I'm interested in and what I wouldn't hesitate to jump on. Not willing to invest the time money for an unknown ... margins are too tight fort unknowns in this business.
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treason View Post

I had similar reason for not backing this kickstarter.

I don't want ANY old AAX-DSP plugs - I want AAX-DSP versions of the plugs I use everyday, which are stuck in AAX-Native.

If any of the following did this I'dve backed them:
  • Slate VCC
  • A Neve/API Console [I'll likely purchase the bx_console]
  • fabfilter Q2, DS, L, MB
  • all Kush/Sly-fi plugs
  • a true compete for the UAD 1073 MkII
  • a great delay line like Waves H-Delay/ST EchoBoy

That's what I'm interested in and what I wouldn't hesitate to jump on. Not willing to invest the time money for an unknown ... margins are too tight fort unknowns in this business.

What if you, and every other likeminded HDX owner, had backed this project, and it had exceeded it's target?

What if Kush / Fabfilter / Soundtoys / Slate had seen that success, and it had inspired them to launch their own Kickstarters?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
What if you, and every other likeminded HDX owner, had backed this project, and it had exceeded it's target?

What if Kush / Fabfilter / Soundtoys / Slate had seen that success, and it had inspired them to launch their own Kickstarters?
Sorry - I don't want to appear rude here - but I stand with my first line of belief and that is: if a company truly believes in its products then every single one of them (no matter a starter or a well known one) have the opportunity to do so; there are no financial barriers around, especially in these days when borrowing money from the banks hasn't been cheaper since almost like the great depression. There's no Kickstarter and similar stuff needed. Period. I believe based on some figures that have been made public and on the DUC here that there are more than enough HDX users willing to support either old or new AAX-DSP developers. But the world has changed; we're no longer living in TDM times; some will adapt, others will argue to infinity and beyond; some will abandon PT altogether and move on, some will invest into the "new" HDX hardware and hope for the best; some developers will come up with their proprietary solutions and try to take a piece of the pie; some will hide in their shelters, others will attack. But one thing is certain: there are AAX-DSP loyal supporters out there, there are HDX users that made the jump from HD/TDM to HDX/AAX-DSP ... and yes - there are those that will try to squeeze out every single frop out of their HD/TDM system until it breaks down. And I for one do not blame them; fact is that the pro audio industry is suffering ... a lot and the margins are nowhere they used to be. But that's not the only industry that has seen such changes. I much prefer to call these changes evolution. Be it for better or for worse changes have and will continue to happen; things will evolve. I don't have a crystal ball to predict the future, but I will - willingly - continue to build upon PT and my HDX platform. I will continue to purchase additional AAX-DSP plug-in's even if maybe some of them will turn out to be investment-mistakes. That's my choice and my decision so while everyone is entitled to their opinion and to criticism of others, I too am entitled to voice my opinion whether you agree with me or not.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:06 PM
SKnote

We don't "want" to do AAX-DSP.
Actally I didn't want at all.
Some customers of ours kept asking for them, I was intrigued by the system, kickstarter looked like an interesting source for discussion and concrete poll.

This being said, your subject about EU companies being sources for fraud is simply stupid and cannot be accepted.

DISCLAIMER: I hereby fully acknowledge that you can be different from how you appear from your post, but I don't know you, so I'm sure you can actually be a great person. But, until I have a way to really know you, your post is absolutely idiot and 100% offensive to a whole continent up to limits of racism.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post

I believe I've made this point on other posts and maybe even this one. I believe Quinto is still open to develop AAX-DSP, he's a person that enjoys dialog. Write him an email and keep the chatter going. If there is enough interest shown I believe we may all be using SKnote products in AAX-DSP in the future!

Once their AAX-Native plug-ins start rolling out I believe it will get this dialog spread more into the Pro Tools world.
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org