Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Banned

Default is there a way to get rid of elastic audio warble sound.

I'm using elastic audio even though i try not to as much as possible. There is a bunch of automatically created markers that create a warble sound I'm sure we all know to well. Iv deleted the markers i don't need but the unremovable markers are leaving a sound that is plain useless. there has to be a way around this , does anybody have any pro tricks for this.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:43 AM

Default Re: is there a way to get rid of elastic audio warble sound.

I find that elastic audio works well with transient rhythmic material in rhythmic mode. On more sustained material I always seem to get some warble artifacts aswell. Sorry. Maby someone have some tips.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstudios View Post
I'm using elastic audio even though i try not to as much as possible. There is a bunch of automatically created markers that create a warble sound I'm sure we all know to well. Iv deleted the markers i don't need but the unremovable markers are leaving a sound that is plain useless. there has to be a way around this , does anybody have any pro tricks for this.
If you haven't already, try all algorithms. Pay no attention to what they're called. Sometimes Polyphonic works better on a rhythm source, etc.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Here's some more possible help. I often will add a blank audio track below the one I want to work on, and copy/paste the region/clip that needs work, to the blank track. By grabbing a section of audio, when you copy/paste, you create a new piece of audio, so you can screw it up without losing the original(and yes, EA can screw things up). Another option is to duplicate the playlist, then consolidate the dupe to create a new audio file.

Regarding using EA, small moves usually yield "nicer" results(but this is no guaranty). For vocals and bass guitar, the Monophonic setting USUALLY works best(but I agree that others are worth a try). Sometimes, I will fix the audio I copied to the separate track, and, instead of committing it, I will simply route and record back to the original track(sometimes things sound good until you commit the changes). Sometimes, after failing to avoid the "warbles", I may choose to simply move audio around by slicing it up(this works better on some sounds than others and I use this technique for drums and bass).

If you wish to use Elastic Pitch, then you MUST use the Polyphonic setting.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Banned

Thank you very much guys , I will have to try those , my approach did not have the results I wanted so maybe a hybrid approach to as you all suggested might work best. Couldn't possibly sound any worse than the warble soup i mucked up.

THANK YOU
Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
automatically created markers
so, you're talkin bout analysis markers, correct?
if you haven't already done so,
you can go to elastic properties,
and set the sensitivity to zero
and often that helps.

also x-form usually will clear that up...

e
Old 12-19-2013, 01:03 AM

Hi Everyone While you guys are talking about elastic tracks. I have an issue trying to comitt to the desired speed of an avid drum loop. After i select "None Comitt" in the elastic part of the track i get this message that i have attached. ANY IDEARS GUYS? I need help (not just with my spelling)
Attached Images
File Type: png After clicking Committ.PNG (34.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsy View Post
Hi Everyone While you guys are talking about elastic tracks. I have an issue trying to comitt to the desired speed of an avid drum loop. After i select "None Comitt" in the elastic part of the track i get this message that i have attached. ANY IDEARS GUYS? I need help (not just with my spelling)
You should start a new thread with all of the info you can provide.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Here's some more possible help. I often will add a blank audio track below the one I want to work on, and copy/paste the region/clip that needs work, to the blank track. By grabbing a section of audio, when you copy/paste, you create a new piece of audio, so you can screw it up without losing the original(and yes, EA can screw things up). Another option is to duplicate the playlist, then consolidate the dupe to create a new audio file.

Regarding using EA, small moves usually yield "nicer" results(but this is no guaranty). For vocals and bass guitar, the Monophonic setting USUALLY works best(but I agree that others are worth a try). Sometimes, I will fix the audio I copied to the separate track, and, instead of committing it, I will simply route and record back to the original track(sometimes things sound good until you commit the changes). Sometimes, after failing to avoid the "warbles", I may choose to simply move audio around by slicing it up(this works better on some sounds than others and I use this technique for drums and bass).

If you wish to use Elastic Pitch, then you MUST use the Polyphonic setting.
The "secret" I was told a few years ago when EA first came out was to select whichever algorithm suits the track for editing, then choose XFORM to "finalize" it before committing. Is this still the proper or normal protocol for using EA? I always used to get better results when doing it this way.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
The "secret" I was told a few years ago when EA first came out was to select whichever algorithm suits the track for editing, then choose XFORM to "finalize" it before committing. Is this still the proper or normal protocol for using EA? I always used to get better results when doing it this way.
Technically, it should make no difference in quality than picking XFORM from the beginning. If the goal is to save time, then yeah it should work - put the tracks in realtime processing when you're editing, and when you're done switch to XFORM to print (commit) the material.

Here's the thing: XFORM is rendered only. So when you switch, it will have to render all the clips you performed warping on. Here's another thing: Tracks with multiple playlists don't like to be switched from realtime to rendered. The main playlist will render, but all the other playlists will display offline waveforms.

Luckily, I have discovered a workaround. Select each "offline" clip with the object grabber. Copy and paste in place (or promote to main playlist and then undo). This will prompt the elastic audio to render offline with whatever algorithm your track uses.