How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Reason Upgrade to 10 for $99

I just logged in and I must have registered RE8 b/c it says $99

I was curious if 10 is the full product? And if I’m still able to rewire from reason into PT
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I just logged in and I must have registered RE8 b/c it says $99

I was curious if 10 is the full product? And if I’m still able to rewire from reason into PT
Yes, 10 is the full product, and yes you can host in PT via rewire. What you can NOT do, however, is host VSTs in Reason with Reason in slave mode via rewire. You can only host the VSTs with Reason in stand alone or master mode. 9.5 added VST hosting. 10 added 5 or 6 new Reason VI's, and some other smaller fixes.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Daniel - Check this info out from Sweetwater.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'm still on R8 believe it or not.
I'm still on 2.5! I just logged in

It's been a while for sure

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
I'm still on 2.5! I just logged in

It's been a while for sure

Stephen
Well, a few things have been added since then.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:29 PM

there won't be any change in allowing vst's to be hosted in rewire slave mode.

As far as i know only reaper allows that and it was a purposeful design choice.

I think the best thing about reason in slave mode is being able to use it's own cpu light synths and the midi players.. but just imo of course.

I do not understand the vst decision.. as far as i know, if a rewire slave crashes, it does not affect the master in any way stability wise..

It could be because all vsts would be stacked onto one core per the rewire protocol, and reason being as inefficient as it is with VI's, they didn't want 100 support questions every day of "why do i have pops and clicks"? Over at the reason forums, i have never seen so many complaints about vst inefficiency as I have about reason.. vs ANY other app, even pro tools rtas lol.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:47 PM

I haven’t had too many issues with VSTs in Reason. There’s been a few minor issues, mainly (surprisingly) with some of the AIR VIs. What I like about VST hosting in Reason is that in some ways it makes Reason the most powerful VI in the world, because it can be all of them!! The Combinator is a powerful sound design, patch design tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Yes their abilities to make VI’s is astounding

They must have a super dedicated team
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
No I don't have VEPro. But I doubt it would solve the issue as you can't host VSTs with Reason in slave mode anyways. So, even if you somehow hosted Reason i VEPro without it being in slave mode, you'd still have to route the MIDI from Pro Tools to Reason to play a part, and then route the audio back from Reason to Pro Tools to lay down the track. I can do that now using virtual midi and the loop back audio feature on my Focusrite interface. So, I don't see how adding VEPro makes that any different. I just open Reason then Pro Tools to do things this way if I want to use patches created using VSTs in Reason. Mainly its in the Combinator in Reason that I do that. If I'm just going to use a single instance of a particular VST VI, then I can just host it directly in PT using Reaper or Patchwork.

Now, if Blue Cat made a Reason version of Patchwork...then that would make it so you can host VSTs in Reason while in Slave mode. Just host them in PW inside Reason. But, the REAL solution is for the P-heads to simply upgrade Reason to allow VST hosting while Reason is in slave mode. Frankly I don't see why that's an issue now. Reaper can host VSTs when in slave mode...it can't be that hard to pull off programming wise.

The other thing I want to see if MIDI cable routing similar to how we can route cables now on the back of the rack. Imagine if you had 2 MIDI out ports on, say, the Dual Arp Player, and could route Arp 1 to one VI and Arp 2 to a different one. Combinator set ups using that could become quite complex and textured. You could have a MIDI splitter, similar to the audio or cv splitters if you wanted to send a MIDI out to several VI's MIDI INs at one time.

Right now, MIDI functionality is very limited in Reason.

All of the above has been passed on to the P-heads by me a few months after 9.5 was released. I know they saw it, because I received replies asking me for more information as to what I had in mind. So, I'm hoping that means its under serious consideration, perhaps even being implemented. We'll see what happens if/when 10.5 or 11 is released.

But simply offering more VIs or FX is NOT going to justify an upgrade in my mind. I've had several Reason users tell me they agree with me on that, too.
Running Reason in VEPro is not running it in Rewire slave mode. It runs like any other synth hosted in VEPro or PT. Rewire protocol has nothing to do with working inside VEPro. I suggest you take a look at how VEPro works - it's a whole 'nother world. A lot of people here host their vi's in VEPro for it's stability.

Basically one treats VEPro like any synth - you feed MIDI to a vi in it from PT and route the audio back into PT for rendering in PT. Little complicated at first but quite workable. You do need a dongle for it; not an iLok but one like the Steinberg one which is the same as the ignition key for Reason.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Running Reason in VEPro is not running it in Rewire slave mode. It runs like any other synth hosted in VEPro or PT. Rewire protocol has nothing to do with working inside VEPro. I suggest you take a look at how VEPro works - it's a whole 'nother world. A lot of people here host their vi's in VEPro for it's stability.

Basically one treats VEPro like any synth - you feed MIDI to a vi in it from PT and route the audio back into PT for rendering in PT. Little complicated at first but quite workable. You do need a dongle for it; not an iLok but one like the Steinberg one which is the same as the ignition key for Reason.
Jack, I understand how VEPro works. My point is how is that better than just running Reason stand alone along with a PT session, and just using virtual MIDI and loopback audio to lay down tracks? Either way, you still have to route MIDI into Reason from PT and get the audio back out to PT to lay down tracks. Is there $299 worth of advantage?

Closed Thread