Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Default possible to have one fader on S3 control a group of tracks, WITHOUT VCA groups?

Hi all

dont own an S3 (yet) but am curious...

I really really don't like VCA groups... my mix sessions are, by far, complicated enough without them...

but ...

Is it possible to have one fader on S3 control a group of tracks, WITHOUT VCA groups?

so for example - S3 fader one controls my grouped drums, S3 fader 2 controls guitars, S3 fader 3 controls synths (etc)

is this possible?

and if yes - how is it set up?

thanks.

MixerGuy
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 PM

Default Re: possible to have one fader on S3 control a group of tracks, WITHOUT VCA groups?

Form your groups. Take one fader from each group and stack them next to each other. Use those.

What your issue with VCAs seems bizarre. I guarantee you don't have the most complicated mixer amongst audio pros. You can use VCAs exactly like you want even if you don't want to do spills, etc. That's partially why they are there -- assign a group to a fader.

(to add, you can assign those one fader/group via Eucon layouts so they don't actually have to be moved around in the mix or edit windows)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 PM

Default Re: possible to have one fader on S3 control a group of tracks, WITHOUT VCA groups?

Thanks for the info BScout.

And by the way - i never said that I “have the most complicated mixer amongst audio pros”

And

I just will not use VCA groups. I don’t like them at all. Yes I have used them.

Nothing bizarre about that, to me.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Can anyone explain how, in ProTools, I would:

“.... Form your groups. Take one fader from each group and stack them next to each other.”

I know how to make groups, of course. ;-)

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM

Literally drag one fader from each group you've created and stack them next to each other.

Or if you have a Eucon surface, under the "Assign" tab in EuControl, change the "assigned to" option for each fader to one fader of each group. You can then go to Layouts and store the setup for something to recall in other sessions.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Literally drag one fader from each group you've created and stack them next to each other.

Or if you have a Eucon surface, under the "Assign" tab in EuControl, change the "assigned to" option for each fader to one fader of each group. You can then go to Layouts and store the setup for something to recall in other sessions.
awesome - thanks.

after some searching i found this video.... seems to explain what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S0OUvs6hwA&t=3s