Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Analog Output louder on Channel 2 (Right) (002)

Hi All,

I have a strange issue here. I have recenlty upgraded my analog studio connections to a

Patchbay => Mackie VLZ1202 => Mackie BigKnob

setup. I am really enjoying this setup since now

- I don't have to crawl behind the back for making and/or changing connections,
- I have a balanced signal path throughout,
- All the stereo inputs to VLZ1202 (002, Lynx TWO, PC Soundcard etc.) can be normalized once at the output and controlled with one big volume knob right next to my LCD,
- I have 3 switchable monitor outputs normalized as well,
- I have the ability for porper talkback etc.

All my snakes and patch cords are TRS=>TRS. Where necessary I used XLR=>TRS snakes or adapters.

After the initial setup everything worked fine. 002 output gain was equal on both channels.

Suddenly though it seems that I am getting a lower level signal on the 002 output channel 1 (L). For this to happen I have changed pretty much nothing! Software-wise the only addition to the system was a TC PoCo Compact (Firewire). I hardly would think that this shoud cause any problems (002 is on a PCI add-on card and PoCo is on the mainboard FW bus) but I tried unplugging the PowerCore anyways to give it a try . Sure I have added and/or changed some patching on the patchbay but I can't see how those could be a cause for the problem at hand.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Krofa.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Analog Output louder on Channel 2 (Right) (002)

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a strange issue here. I have recenlty upgraded my analog studio connections to a

Patchbay => Mackie VLZ1202 => Mackie BigKnob

setup. I am really enjoying this setup since now

- I don't have to crawl behind the back for making and/or changing connections,
- I have a balanced signal path throughout,
- All the stereo inputs to VLZ1202 (002, Lynx TWO, PC Soundcard etc.) can be normalized once at the output and controlled with one big volume knob right next to my LCD,
- I have 3 switchable monitor outputs normalized as well,
- I have the ability for porper talkback etc.

All my snakes and patch cords are TRS=>TRS. Where necessary I used XLR=>TRS snakes or adapters.

After the initial setup everything worked fine. 002 output gain was equal on both channels.

Suddenly though it seems that I am getting a lower level signal on the 002 output channel 1 (L). For this to happen I have changed pretty much nothing! Software-wise the only addition to the system was a TC PoCo Compact (Firewire). I hardly would think that this shoud cause any problems (002 is on a PCI add-on card and PoCo is on the mainboard FW bus) but I tried unplugging the PowerCore anyways to give it a try . Sure I have added and/or changed some patching on the patchbay but I can't see how those could be a cause for the problem at hand.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Krofa.
could you expalin the signal path to me. could one channel on your amp be dying (what amp are you using)? the actual level in pro tools 'shows' lower or just the volume in the speaker 'is' lower?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Analog Output louder on Channel 2 (Right) (002)

Thank you for your reply!

For some odd reason my problem just decided to go away without me changing anything in terms of settings!!! What I did was; I just changed the stereo channel for the 002 on the VLZ-1202 and then back to where it was in the beginning. Now it seems it's gone! How strange is that? Would this be some static electricity issue that disappeared once I unplugged and replugged the channels on the VLZ-1202? Mysteries of analog?

Nevertheless; here is the answer to what you had asked;

What I described occured with both Cubase SX, PTLE & SoundForge, while all programs showed proper signal level in both channels. The problem was reflected on the level-meters of both the VLZ-1202 and the BigKnob. What I described did not occur with Cubase or SoundForge using Lynx Two or the motherboard soundcard. The channel-strip on VLZ-1202 for 002 was set-up totally flat and with the exact same settings as the Lynx Two.

My amps seem to be working fine; I am using a Yamaha A100a for the NS-10's and an Alesis R150 for the Avantone Mix Cubes.

Well, now that it's gone; I should be happy but that doesn't mean that some other odd time it is not going to happen again...

Thanks anyway!

Cheers...