Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I've had good success with the D-Link switches. You can get a 8 port one for less than a hundred bucks.

For screen sharing, it's done thru the network. If multiple Mac computers are hooked up via ethernet and the switch, you can use screen sharing / keyboard / trackball on all of them. It simple and takes about 30 seconds to set up.
That sounds great, and cheap. Love it! Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 AM

VE Pro seems too good to be true

You don´t even need a Audio interface or MIDI on the slave computer,wow !

How much latency is it? Can you use the slave computer as a huge FX rack with CPU hungry reverbs, how much "pre delay" will be introduced ?

I am thinking about setting up aux sends in pro Tools routing through LAN to slavecomputer and back.
Let´s say 64 audio streams ( 16 stereo back and forth ). Or can you downmix the 16 stereoreturns to one stereo on the slave to save Voices when coming back to Pro Tools HD ?

Will that work without hazzle?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Been reading all these threads as I'm a G5 dual 2.7 owner needing more horsepower as well. Just picked up a 2009 2.26 8 core. VEPRo is set to 1 core/instance on the slave & latency of 2 in Protools. PT is set to 1 processor. I'm not hearing any clicks & pops while recording & playing back midi, but I do hear some when converting midi to audio. Have to switch H/W buffer to 1024 to get rid of it. Is this 'normal'? Is there another setting I should look at?
Another thot I'm considering is installing PT9 on my slave computer & using my NI Kore as an audio/midi interface. I could create all my midi arrangements in that format, bounce down audio & bring into PT 8 for further recording & mixdown. Anyone have experience doing that?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
Been reading all these threads as I'm a G5 dual 2.7 owner needing more horsepower as well. Just picked up a 2009 2.26 8 core. VEPRo is set to 1 core/instance on the slave & latency of 2 in Protools. PT is set to 1 processor. I'm not hearing any clicks & pops while recording & playing back midi, but I do hear some when converting midi to audio. Have to switch H/W buffer to 1024 to get rid of it. Is this 'normal'? Is there another setting I should look at?
Another thot I'm considering is installing PT9 on my slave computer & using my NI Kore as an audio/midi interface. I could create all my midi arrangements in that format, bounce down audio & bring into PT 8 for further recording & mixdown. Anyone have experience doing that?
I have the same computer as you do and I have it set to 15 cores when I don't use VEPRO and 9 cores when I use it. (if it is a dual 8 core machine? you have) I don't have any pops and clicks. I have 256 pt samples dly and I've set the PT buffer to large. It works like a charm.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM

A bit late to the VEP scene but here goes. For the most part it works great but I have come across a weird one.
I originally just put my Kontact stuff in VEP. Happy days no issues. I then used the RTAS version of EZ Drummer. this seemed fine also. I then tried to record another RTAS vi and ez drummer goes completely out of sync until I stop disable record and play. Bottom line is that when in midi record any RTAS vi already ready recorded is not in sync with VEP. until I disable record and play.

256 buffer. This is not the same as the long standing midi bug where a record enabled instrument is not delay compensated or is it ? I have toggeled Delay comp on/off etc, trashed prefs, all the usual stuff, any ideas.

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native