How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Default Re: TransVST !

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
transvst just fills the gap for me till something comes out..
If it turns out to fill that gap very well then that could be a gamble in the current AAX climate when many plugins are yet to be released, or even show signs of being released. If any company, right now, makes a wrapper that is solid and not buggy then you think that bodes well for those on the fence or dragging feet with developing AAX?

I'm not attacking TransVST or saying it is not good or needed. But perhaps Tom has a point, which could explain why TransVST was pulled and why Fxpansion has not updated to AAX. Just a thought.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
If it turns out to fill that gap very well then that could be a gamble in the current AAX climate when many plugins are yet to be released, or even show signs of being released. If any company, right now, makes a wrapper that is solid and not buggy then you think that bodes well for those on the fence or dragging feet with developing AAX?

I'm not attacking TransVST or saying it is not good or needed. But perhaps Tom has a point, which could explain why TransVST was pulled and why Fxpansion has not updated to AAX. Just a thought.
Whatever the reason, we can agree it's got sod all to do with "quality control" or what's best for the customer though.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remute View Post
There's a thread near the top of the forum full of peeps with problems with Lion, you might get some help/explanations there:
http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewf...f5190b8e2aa12f
Thanks for taking the time to post remute.
I will check it out.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Why would Sugarbytes release this without having everything set with Avid first? If the communication is bad then that is even more reason to wait, no? Maybe they forced Avid to the table with the release, or thought that had everything set to go. Who knows. Manny, your assessment make sense to me.
Hey spenner sorry didn't see that post till now. They have a "license" to make plugins for Avid, maybe they thought that also included making a wrapper as it's kind of a plugin. Once they actually got word that it wasn't part of the same license, they moved to correct their mistake. That's one possibility, there could be many other reasons that we will probably never know.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
At this point, it may just be that a VST wrapper does not serve the best interest of Avid nor (to some extent) the users. I wonder how many developers might just say never mind the AAX recoding; AAX customers can just use the wrapper. There are major players that have not yet even given us AAX native.
This might very well be the internal thinking at Avid, but this type of developer already made that decision long ago and said never mind, unfortunately. This same thinking can be concluded with the current RTAS to VST wrapper. I talked with more than one developer who have said they're just going to wait for the AAX wrapper and not bother to port. These are the ones that had dismal sales with RTAS. The popular plug-ins will more than likely still port over, the ones with minimal sales probably wont bother. The one's who think there is still a future with DSP will port over to AAX DSP. In my opinion, I doubt an AAX wrapper available today will change these developer decisions that have already been made.

When Avid does give the ok, it'll be good to have a choice between different types of wrappers from other developers with different design ideas, features and a new take on wrapping plug-ins. Dave Lebolt back in the digidesign days made mention that there were more wrappers coming out. It was in one of his "Dave's Dirt" columns in digizine. That very article had me excited for years, until I finally gave up waiting. I always wondered why that never happened.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX View Post
re-mute, why would we put time & effort in to updating VST-RTAS since it's been clear since AAX was first announced that RTAS as a format has a rather limited shelf life at this point in time. If we were to update the wrapper, it would make sense to go straight to AAX.. the fact that we haven't yet done so should tell you something.
At present time when 1 year elapsed after PT10 release, I understand that there is no worth to update VST2RTAS because RTAS format is about to be obsolete, and it makes sense to think AAX.

But the quality issue of VST2RTAS was already generated when PT9 was released. At least I could never successfuly operate the wrapper since PT9 on both Windows and OSX. There were so many VSTs that could be wrapped and run with PTLE8 without problems, but most of them had become unusable once after updating to PT9. This means FXpansion had not done anything for at least 1 year about the wrapper product even though so many people were complaing the conpatibility issue with new PT9.

http://himemanik.com/
http://www.facebook.com/himemanik2
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 AM

Thumbs down Re: TransVST !

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
hm, you mean his quote of fxpansion?

why should avid care if transvst exists, when avid is doing a wrapper or PT11 auto-wrap that is better/easier/whatever.

i´d always prefer the avid-version if it´s not buggy.

transvst just fills the gap for me till something comes out.
But...

When has Avid ever put out something that wasn't buggy?

(Yup, I went there).

Reading that official clarification insisting the wrapper was pulled from the market for quality assurance purposes gave me the idiot shivers. No offense to the messenger whatsoever, but I find the argument absurd. If PT was rock solid, I may feel differently. But, its not. Its buggy.
Clearly, a plan was foiled.
I empathize, I do, but I still want the wrapper.

:mad
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 AM

What this debacle reminds me of is when decades back a company was putting out clones of the Apple II computer until Apple themselves put a stop to it. Who knows what innovation and the market would have been like if Apple had given a go ahead to this company?

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manik View Post
At present time when 1 year elapsed after PT10 release, I understand that there is no worth to update VST2RTAS because RTAS format is about to be obsolete, and it makes sense to think AAX.

But the quality issue of VST2RTAS was already generated when PT9 was released. At least I could never successfully operate the wrapper since PT9 on both Windows and OSX. There were so many VSTs that could be wrapped and run with PTLE8 without problems, but most of them had become unusable once after updating to PT9. This means FXpansion had not done anything for at least 1 year about the wrapper product even though so many people were complaining the compatibility issue with new PT9.
Exactly my point.

To say that the vst-rtas wrapper was scheduled for an update, just at the point when AAX was announced and was therefore postponed is insulting, to be frank.
There is this whole period since AAX announcement that we could have had a useable product. Its not like rtas went away....its still here.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Its not like rtas went away....its still here.
Can you imagine the excitement if a wrapper for TDM/RTAS/VST2/VST3 came included with PT 11!

I just can't see how it would be anything but a win-win!

But, I guess that new 64bit chorus plug would also do the trick