Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Default Input only monitoring in PT9 Native

Moved and changed subject title to something more appropriate :

My first question is about finding a new workflow for PT9 HD Core Audio hardware when “Input only monitoring” is not available without Avid/Digi hardware.

Currently my main rig is still G5 HD2 PT7 with 96I/O and 192D hardware interfaces. It's the hub for 3 workstations connected by digital audio hardware and network MIDI. My creative tools are spread out over this network of computers, Intel Mac and Win7.

On the G5 I make exclusive use of “input only monitoring” and the TrackInput button as I frequently switch back and forth between my input source (creative tools on the IntelMac) and what’s recorded on disk in my PT7 session. I’m recording MIDI tracks into PT7, premixing stems in the creative tools IntelMac and recording those stems back on the PT7 system. This is working great.

I’m building a PT9 HD Core Audio hardware based system to test and trouble shoot a new workflow. Here’s where I get stuck … “Input only monitoring” is not available without Avid/Digi hardware. What the heck do I do now ? I’m stuck on working in input only … not sure where to go with this. HELP !
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Input only monitoring in PT9 Native

I promised we could help, but until someone smarter than me posts, I have two options for you:

1.) disable auto-input monitoring, and leave everything set to input-only monitoring. This was how I usually worked in PT8LE/CPTK. You hit play, and the record inputs stay active. Make a group that toggles record enable across all your stems to make it easier.

2.) buy Digi hardware (seriously, the price of an HD|Native card is really low these days...)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM

thanks for taking the time to reply

I'm a bit confused by your reply "1) leave everything set to input-only monitoring" are you talking about in PT9 under the "track" menu drop down setting the "Auto-input Monitoring" to on ? This works fine for audio but then I can't record MIDI separately ...
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM

You want the audio input to be active, but when you hit record, you record MIDI separately? Without Avid hardware, I think the only way to achieve that is by using aux inputs from your outboard gear. One (admittedly kludgy) way to do that would be to have a bank of aux inputs receiving audio from your outboard gear, and another bank of muted record tracks set to the same inputs. If the record tracks are not record-ready, you can record MIDI independently, and still hear audio coming in via the auxes.

Just curious, you have a lot of gear- why not use Avid hardware on the main Pro Tools system?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM

yes it does seem that the exchange for HD PCI Core cards is back on

http://www.avid.com/US/specialoffers/PT-Native-Exchange
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I think the only way to achieve that is by using aux inputs from your outboard gear
Ya thats what I figured .. not convenient at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Just curious, you have a lot of gear- why not use Avid hardware on the main Pro Tools system?
Well for starters I wasn't considering the Native PCI-e card because then the only way to link my systems would be by Avid/Digi hardware interfaces linked to the other systems. Because I'm a mainly digital workflow I want to ditch almost all my hardware interfaces.

I'm also trying to get a wider delivery from each creative workstation with a new PT9 system. Right now I only have 8CH @ 44.1k from each machine limited by ADAT and the Avid/Digi hardware. Ideally I'd have a wider delivery of 16ch @96k from each machine so that's 48tracks total. Using Dante audio network I can buy 1 PCI-e card to put in the new PT9 machine as master and run the rest of the workstations off their built in gigabit ethernet and ditch about 5 hardware interfaces.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Wow. Dante looks amazing. Thanks for posting that. It's about time we had something more powerful than MADI. I had no idea Dante existed. Avid should buy them.