Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Pro Tools to Reaper... Need some help!

I was so excited to try it out but am already running into an issue and I'm not even out of the gate yet!

When I start Reaper, it recommends I choose an Audio Device driver.

I'm coming from Pro Tools 8 on a 002R. I choose ASIO and Reaper immediately crashes...

I did some searching on these forums, tried a couple things. I installed the ASIO4ALL, but I'm not seeing that as an option in the list of Audio Device drivers inside of Reaper. I installed my sound card drivers as well.. It's a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi.

Is there some preliminary actions I'm supposed to take coming from Pro Tools and using the 002R as my interface for Reaper?

Has anyone made this jump successfully with the same interface and DAW? (002, PT)

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools to Reaper... Need some help!

Yes... many use digi devices with Reaper. Are you sure you're choosing the Digidesign ASIO driver?
You really should join the Reaper forum by the way.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Shane and a few others will be the ones to go into detail here about this as I run Reaper though a separate set of converters and avoid the Digi stuff altogether. What you could do for fun right now is Re-Wire reaper through Pro Tools by selecting it as a Plug-in, this has its advantages.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
Yes... many use digi devices with Reaper. Are you sure you're choosing the Digidesign ASIO driver?
You really should join the Reaper forum by the way.
Out of the list of Audio Device drivers, there is only one ASIO, it doesn't say ASIO Creative, or ASIO DigiDesign, just ASIO...

I actually did join Reaper forums and posted my inquiry there, but no luck so far.

The one guy that did respond said, "Also the drawback of the digidesign interfaces is that you can only use them with Pro Tools and Pro Tools M-Powered, so you will not be able to use your 002rack with Reaper"

I'm wondering if my DigiDesign ASIO is somehow conflicting with something..

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Shane and a few others will be the ones to go into detail here about this as I run Reaper though a separate set of converters and avoid the Digi stuff altogether. What you could do for fun right now is Re-Wire reaper through Pro Tools by selecting it as a Plug-in, this has its advantages.
What are the advantages Tom?? I thought Reaper had a way lighter footprint, cleaner code, which in turn makes it an ultra fast DAW, but wouldn't those advantages be lost if I were to ReWire it into PT? And also all the issues with PT would then be present as well right? Or do you mean, just ReWire it in and don't use PT at all, just use Reaper inside of PT?

I'm a little green when it comes to ReWire.. have only had limited experience with it using Reason into PT.

Thanks whorbos!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM

It's possible the Digi ASIO driver wasn't installed with your PT installation. You could go to Add or Remove programs, choose your PT install, modify and make sure the ASIO driver option is checked. You should definitely see DIGI designated next to the correct ASIO choice in Reaper.

Good luck-
Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
It's possible the Digi ASIO driver wasn't installed with your PT installation. You could go to Add or Remove programs, choose your PT install, modify and make sure the ASIO driver option is checked. You should definitely see DIGI designated next to the correct ASIO choice in Reaper.

Good luck-
Hey JMS,

When I go to modify, the only check boxes include..

Pro Tools Le 8.0.1
Application Files
DigiRack Plug-Ins
Pro Tools Creative Collection
Mac HFS + Disk Support
Avid Video Engine
Command|8 Controller and Driver

I don't see a check box for Digi ASIO anywhere.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Someone at the Reaper forums just responded with this..

"Get a decent sound card, seriously!, using PT and a soundblaster ?????

It's not a Reaper problem "

I didn't think the sound card mattered for PT, since PT supplies ASIO drivers during installation.. am I wrong? Should I get a new sound card?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

I read your thread on the reaper forum. Although I can't tell you exactly what's wrong, Those guys don't know anything about Digi Hardware, that I am sure.
You need to find out about the drivers that run non PT stuff. Like iTunes etc, and what drivers you can download for asio things.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
I was so excited to try it out but am already running into an issue and I'm not even out of the gate yet!

When I start Reaper, it recommends I choose an Audio Device driver.

I'm coming from Pro Tools 8 on a 002R. I choose ASIO and Reaper immediately crashes...

I did some searching on these forums, tried a couple things. I installed the ASIO4ALL...
Remove ASIO4ALL.

Here are your ASIO optimizations you need to do. Use the Digidesign ASIO Driver. The entire Digi hardware line has been tested and works using the Digidesign ASIO Driver and REAPER.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit