Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Default Consolidating Sessions and backup to cloud or other

I have a project that I've been working on for a year that I'm paranoid about losing. I have my external work hard drive backed up to a clone (through SuperDuper smart update on a daily basis).

I was considering also backing up everything to a cloud service like Amazon S3. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, since you pay by the GB/month and it takes time to upload everything, is there an easy way to consolidate sessions? Ideally I would only save the takes (with handles) that are being used and make a media-managed copy of the project that would be much smaller in size and would be convenient for backup.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Consolidating Sessions and backup to cloud or other

Since I keep my DAW off the internet, the cloud is not an option I would look at. Back up by saving session copy(and check the box for copy all audio files) and send it to any/every hard drive you have available. Also, take one of these copies that you have opened(to verify that all the audio is there) and clean out the un-used audio regions and then burn the folder to DVD-R. If you have things backed up to 3 separate locations(like DVD-R and 2 different hard drives), then you are properly backed up.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM

Save session copy as sounds like a good plan. I'll give it a shot. I like the idea of having a backup in another physical location. That's why I'm looking into something like S3.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 AM

So, save session copy still saves ALL of the audio. Is there a way to just save the files being used in the timeline (with handles) - like a media-manage function?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 PM

I figured out part of what I was asking ... so answering part of my own question here...

To consolidate a session, you can create a new session and import data ( shift+alt + i ) from a session you want to archive (or just make more manageable).

Options:

Audio Media (consolidate from source media with 1000 miliseconds (or longer) handles)
Video: (Copy from source media)
select all tracks
tick all import options
leave everything else.

This should make a copy of the original with only the takes being used in the sequence and greatly reduce the size of the project...making it much easier to backup.... this also isn't a bad working practice as a way to slim down a file ... just make sure everything works and lines up correctly.

NOTE: the only thing i noticed I couldn't import were GROUPS.. so you may have to redo these, unless someone knows a way to import groups from a session?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 AM

Here's my procedure:

1. Delete all playlists not in use, and inactive tracks.
2. Select all regions on all tracks, consolidate regions.
3. In region bin menu: Delete (remove) unused regions.
4. Save session copy...
5. Archive the new session folder.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Gobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnisi View Post
I have a project that I've been working on for a year that I'm paranoid about losing. I have my external work hard drive backed up to a clone (through SuperDuper smart update on a daily basis).

I was considering also backing up everything to a cloud service like Amazon S3. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, since you pay by the GB/month and it takes time to upload everything, is there an easy way to consolidate sessions? Ideally I would only save the takes (with handles) that are being used and make a media-managed copy of the project that would be much smaller in size and would be convenient for backup.
Hey there. We just launched a product that does cloud backup. We'd love for you to try it and let us know what you think. Www.gobbler.com.