Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2000, 01:38 PM

Default Configuration With AMD K6

Hello Digi users,

Is it truly advisable not to use the K6 processor with the Digi 001 on the Windows platform? I am planning on buying the 001 but I'll pass on it if I have to buy a new motherboard and processor to make it function. Thank you in advance for any regards on my inquiry.

Tyson.
Old 10-08-2000, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Configuration With AMD K6

Get a celleron2 and a asus 440bx chipset motherboard with the digi and it will change the way you think about DAW. I am running a 566 chip ( you can get them for $75 now )overclocked to 850 on an asus p2bf (the new version is the p3bf $130-$150) with a slotkit ($14) with adgustable voltage jumpers.

Trust me it is worth the extra $250. think of it this way, for the price of a P3 chip 850 or higher you can get the motherboard and chip going with the celeron, and dont let the name fool ya it is realy a P3. Intel packs the box with a v8 and tells ya its a 4 cylnder. It does only have 128k L2 cash instead of 256k but that is the only differance. It even says its a PIII when booting up:)~

Anyway getting back to the point it is worth the investment but you have to have the computer to run this baby they say no AMD for a reason and that is because 95% dont work with digi yet. Alot of people are waiting for Athlon support but I think it is more of the chipsets on the motherboard and how it performs with regulating PCI bus trafic holding up the AMD game.

Hopefuly next year we get some better Chipsets for Athlon and multi processer support from digi ( that would mean some other OS from W98 or will Milinium support this I doubt it. ) Dream system, Quad 1Ghz Athlon thunderbirds and a gig of ram running on Win 2000, How many DVerbs do you think you could run with this setup?

~^KroNEe^~

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 10-08-2000, 10:15 PM

Well i pulled out my calculater, and tried to figure out the solution to this riddle. Remember this is simply hypothetical, and real world numbers are always lower then theorized numbers.

According to my calculations the total # of dverbs that would run with the Quad 1Ghz Athlon thunderbirds and a gig of ram(DDR of course) running on Win 2000, would be.... 3.578548 * 10^63.

Just kidding, but i would think that the mentioned setup would actually destroy the CPU power of a full blown TDM.

Christian
Old 10-09-2000, 02:42 PM

So are you saying that there are no chip set configurations that an AMD Athlon 650 would comply with to work without issue with the Digi 001? There isn't even a patch that could be down loaded?
I just puchased the Digi 001 and have yet to install it on my mother board. I have a IEDE 18Gig harddrive and will problably partion it until I purchase the Adaptec 39160 Dual SCSI board and get an external SCSI drive. I also have an ADAT Edit board as well and I plan to have everything looped and synched lovely, but I am worried about the the chipset issue. If you know of any viable chipsets that for the AMD Athlon 650 please notify my ASAP if you can.

Tripper
Old 10-13-2000, 04:50 AM

I think there have been some sucess stories with athlon but not many. If anyone is out there running athlon sucessfuly speak up.

~^KroNEe^~

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com