Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Default Seeking Midi Drum Recording tips

I have a drum machine where it gives me a click and I can hit pads and record drum hits. If I make a mistake I just hold the "erase" button and hold down the pad for the drumhit I want erased in realtime and it's gone.

But I want to move over to MIDI drums because they sound better, so now I am trying to use the Midi drums in Structure and using a keyboard to trigger, but I don't see an easy way to redo parts like the above. If I make a mistake I have to walk over to the edit window and erase the one bad note - it takes 10-times longer than my drum machine.

What is YOUR method of recording drum parts with midi using a keyboard (I have an axiom 61 with pads). Specifically, what is the easiest way to change a part you don't like, say you put in an extra kick beat you want to take out?

Do you find it easier to separate the kits onto separate tracks so you can just re-record the one piece (and merge tem later) - or do you use midi-merge and erase the notes that don't work for you by hand?

maybe you record your song with a click first and then do all the drums later using copy & paste?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Seeking Midi Drum Recording tips

I use an M-Audio Trigger Finger and insert ezdrummer on a stereo AUX track for drums. I generally play it in and erase mistakes after the fact. Sometimes I turn on MERGE and play in the kick, then the snare, then the hat and maybe crashes in a 3rd pass. I stay flexible depending on the situation. I also sometimes play the midi parts on a Roland V kit(followed by lots of edits and quantization ). (I'm a guitar player that can "think" a decent drum performance.............................)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Seeking Midi Drum Recording tips

that's a good way to do it, but I am not that dextrous, and more methofical. i tend to really think out every beat I want and then record it. but I I pretty much have to do it one measure at a time & one instrument.

Has anyone downlowded the BFD Lite that Digidesign is apparently giving away? I just got it myself.

I'm still looking for midi tips...

I also think that if I record a full rhythm guitar part to a click I might have more luck composing the drum part to the rhythm guitar part.

But mostly I am looking for a fasr way to use midi drum recording in the way an actual drum machine works, with fast erase for the bad hits you do. I would just go back to the drum machine (Alesis sr-16) but I don't care for the samples sounds they used.