Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Trouble Setting up DDLT

Aspera states that setting up the DDLT is easy for anyone with basic computer understanding. I'm in IT and it's beyond difficult.

My network has a T1 router box from XO. Behind that is an Airport Extreme Router. And then our switch for clients/servers

First of all, I keep reading that the DDLT needs a dedicated, static IP. Does this mean I must have a different IP from the ISP, or can the DDLT go through our switch to the airport extreme?

Here's my next questions:

On the network settings page, it says to enter the "IP Address". What IP address? Our external address our the address of the router on the network?

Next, it says to enter the default gateway. The gateway from my ISP - under the same subnet as the external IP - comes back with an error.

It says that if pinging it is disabled it's OK. When I move forward I have further problems.

If I ignore this error, then when I set up the page for time synchronization, the provided IP for synching up the clock does not work. Furthermore, the next test appears to indicate the DDLT cannot even access the internet.

For those of you familiar with (the horrible) Airport Extreme. Here's a problem. It calls 10.0.1.1 the "router", which in apple terms means the default gateway. But the Airport Extreme will never tell you its actual IP address, and it is not at all accessible via IP - just by Apples software.

So those are the major problems I'm having.

If someone can help it'd be appreciate.

PS: Some of the ports that must be open for the DDLT - like 80 - are already used for other servers on our network - how can I handle this?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Trouble Setting up DDLT

One last thing.

How do I get the IP address of the DDLT itself? Won't I need this for port forwarding?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Trouble Setting up DDLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver80 View Post
First of all, I keep reading that the DDLT needs a dedicated, static IP. Does this mean I must have a different IP from the ISP, or can the DDLT go through our switch to the airport extreme?
You can do it either way, but your T1 router would need to handle multiple WAN IP addresses if you want a dedicated address solely for the DD.

If you want to host it on your existing WAN IP address, the easiest way to do this is to set the DD up as a DMZ host. You could try the whole port forwarding thing but you'd sooner be successful at garroting yourself with an ethernet cable. If the Airport Extreme can't do a DMZ host, then eBay it and go buy a Linksys WRT54G.

Now, your WAN IP address has to be static. That is, you need to pay your ISP extra for a static address. Second, the DD will occupy a static address on the LAN. No DHCP for the DD! Since you appear to be using DHCP, restrict the available dynamic addresses and assign one outside that range to the DD. Enter that address into the DD as the IP address, and into the router as the DMZ host. Gateway of course is the LAN IP address of the router. DNS server addresses you should have gotten from your ISP.

Now, anyone pinging your WAN address will be pinging the DD. Next, get your website host to set the A record for the host name for the DD that points to your WAN address, and get your ISP to set the reverse lookup record that points the WAN address to the host name.

Last, the address you use to access the DD will depend on whether you're accessing it from the LAN or the WAN. If from the LAN, you enter the DDs LAN address directly. If from the WAN, you enter the host name or your WAN address.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control