Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Too much latency in recording

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a Power Mac G5 1.8Mhz 1.25 Ram OS X 3.5 and the M BOX and have been going through some trouble with recording latency. I have tried in a new 16 bit session with only one audio track to set the h/w buffer size in 256 samples and it just wont work making the input not to sound normal and with ocasional cuts and digital blips and during playback giving me the following error: "The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs often, try increasing the h/w buffer size in the playback engine dialog. (-9094). I have tried to modify the ram assigned to the program but aparently the OS X won't let me. I'd really apreciate any help.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Too much latency in recording

Well bernardo i have a 1ghz ibook g4 and i'm getting the same message and bugs with my Mbox, the way that i fixed the problem was simple, Don't monitor your signal thru protools, I think that its just impossible to do that witn an Mbox no matter how low you set the buffer size, i use the mix knob and monitor the signal with the Mbox it self, and for some reason Amplitube takes a lot of horse power from the cpu with the Mbox that's why i use a line6 Pod for my guitar recording (and because i think that it sounds way better than the amplitube LE). i've made mixes with 26 track lots of waves plugings even REASON and the system runs just fine, but put an Amplitube alone and evething goes wrong.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Avid

The Mbox has hardware monitoring built in - all you should need to do is mute the track you're recording to and monitor your input through the Mbox using the Mix knob.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:32 AM

Fretsurfer, thanks for your answer and to be honest I find myself quite astonished with that poor result of software monitoring considering it is a "PRO TOOLS" system. I guess we can't trust systems under 20.000 K for a good result in recording through software monitoring.

Thanks again for your help
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 PM

NO you just shouldn't trust a bottom of the line product from anyone. You're using a slower cpu and usb. You see usb sucks compared to firewire and isn't nearly as fast so that means you can't get as much info thru the usb as fast. People should just stick with the 002r and yes its PRO TOOLS but you're forgetting the important part is LE "limited edition" and not in a good way.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
NO you just shouldn't trust a bottom of the line product from anyone.

Hooooooold it!, I'm sorry to disagree with that, but i think that you just have to put things into real perspectives, you can't spend 450 bucks on a system and think that it's gonna work lika an Hd..., I use it with the cheapest portable product made by apple and it works more than great, off course that i'm not expecting to make a 32 tracks mix full of pluggins with this kind of DAW, I use it to make "onsite" works and the fact that I can take a hole Protools Stereo system everywhere i go inside a small Bag its just priceless, my Mbox has paid it self thousands of times, you just have to learn how to use it and know its limits.

P.S: Bytheway Bernardo, I'm Also From Venezuela chamo
Old 04-16-2005, 12:29 AM

Fretsurfer:

Pana!!! con razon fuiste la unica persona que contesto a mis dudas!!! si eres de Caracas me gustaria que nos reunieramos para asi ver como conseguimos (como buenos venezolanos) la forma de mejorar lo actual y tambien mostrarte las cosas que he estado haciendo y asi poder compartir nuestros trabajos!!! no se si se puede pero te pongo mis telefonos: 0212 991 5825 y 0412 362 5814... Cualquier cosa pana mi pequeño "proyect studio" esta a la orden... Gracias por tus comentarios y sigo investigando!!! Un abrazo...