Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Wow, 5 Reasons a Pro Tools Expert Loves Mixing in Studio One...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
At the same time you don't want the tools to stand in the way of working. Let's face it - there are some maddening ways PT's current implementation can make things difficult at best. Sometimes it's better to move to move on to another tool. It's like bailing out a boat - given a choice of bailing it out with a teacup or moving to a boat that's isn't leaking and sinking - which would you choose? Even if the boat needing bailing has been in the family for years?
Ok, but to be fair, Pro Tools has many features S1 doesn't have. So your comment is true the other way around too.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 AM

S1 is a pretty cool daw and I think the appeal to it is they have sort of rethought some things and come up with some new ways to approach stuff.

However any actual objective comparison to PT also has to point out everything it's missing.

-Session data import
-comprehensive groups (eg groups can link/unlink sends mutes rec arm etc)
-control surfaces
-automation preview, capture, merge, write to all/current/start/end. glide to all, glide to current, trim
-anything remotely approaching the functionality of memory locations
-freely assignable routing (ability to create feedback loops etc)
-do to all, do to all selected, do to all selected sequentially
-KC's to bypass plugins by type
-tempo map that allows moving tempo markers up/down and left and right and having everything represent the change...

To address Russ's issues in my workflow-

1. Folders in PT would be cool. But IMO show/hide status with memory locations is much more powerful because the KC's are universal across my templates (session data import is a big one!). If I want to see only drums I hit .20. and not only does my drum 'folder' open, but it is automatically zoomed, vertically and only the drums focus on the control surface. OTOH why can't you actually move stuff around by folders in S1?

2. I'll take KC's and templates over RSI and permanent mouse driven bodily injury thanks. No do to all (or selected etc), no import session data so if someone likes drag and drop good, because they will be doing A LOT of it.

3. FX chains easily handled with templates and session data import. Again it would be cool to have this in PT directly, but I would take import session data over that any day. I keep commonly used stuff in my templates and can enable disable them as needed.

4. PT has hardware inserts.

5. Easily addressable in a host of different ways. OTOH I keep my templates setup show the global headphone send splits off before the 2 bus, so master FX never get sent to the cans. This way headphones don't get destroyed when I slap a limiter on the output. Because of a fixed output bus in S1 there is no clean way to do this in there.

I'm not saying it's a bad DAW, I'm sure it works great for some and it's nice to have so many options. But I will saw without a shadow of a doubt that Russ and company are not Journalists and are *bad* at being objective.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:59 AM

Might I remind the S1 detractors that it's only at version 2... 3 is coming out shortly.

Also it DOES have hardware inserts... it's called Pipeline.

Having said all that, yes, there are many things Pro Tools does that I am more comfortable with.

However, the current policy towards HD users is unconscionable, IMHO. More importantly, they don't care.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
what does this have to do with PT12?? Shouldn't this be in the "General Discussion" area since there isn't an area specifically called "Who cares" for it ??
And if we could label individual posts I wonder if there would be a category called "Irrelevant" for both of these?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
what does this have to do with PT12?? Shouldn't this be in the "General Discussion" area since there isn't an area specifically called "Who cares" for it ??
When you have a guy like Russ Hughes who has spent years shouting the praises of Pro Tools, not to mention making dozens of video tutorials on Pro Tools, essentially prefer another DAW, I think this is extremely relevant to Pro Tools 12. Why? Because these features, or features like these could and should be written into Pro Tools. But they're not. Why? Because Avid isn't listening.

So why is this important? Avid please wake up and see! This is what your customers want.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
When you have a guy like Russ Hughes who has spent years shouting the praises of Pro Tools, not to mention making dozens of video tutorials on Pro Tools, essentially prefer another DAW, I think this is extremely relevant to Pro Tools 12. Why? Because these features, or features like these could and should be written into Pro Tools. But they're not. Why? Because Avid isn't listening.

So why is this important? Avid please wake up and see! This is what your customers want.
"This is what one of your customers wants." I wasn't excited about anything on that list.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 PM

I agree - PTE is just ONE organisation, with their own point of view. RH's views are his own, and not entirely relevent to ProTools users. For instance when the new crippled Mac Mini came out he championed it as being "perfect for ProTools'. With half the cores and soldered in RAM? Really???? Me thinks someone thinks more of Apple than Avid...

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 05-21-2015, 12:37 PM

http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-...e-from-archive

Russ talking through the new features: mindbogglingly innovative!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM

S1 is only at V3 at the moment. What version is PT now? One advantage of S1 is that PreSonus actually listens to their customers. So whatever features you think its missing you can bet ur behind those features will find itself in it in future versions.

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyko View Post
http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-...e-from-archive

Russ talking through the new features: mindbogglingly innovative!
The sound on that video is TERRIBLE !