Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Default Commit doesn't work with Midi clip and VE Pro

I tried using commit for the first time on a midi clip and it didn't work.

The midi clip is accessing samples from a slave computer that is hosting VE Pro. When I play back the midi clip before I Commit it sounds fine. So then I did the commit function and Pro Tools does the offline bounce but comes back with a audio file that has no audio.

What am I missing?

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram, OSX 10.12.3
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, SSD drives running VE Pro 7
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo X8, Twin Duo & Quad Satellite Thunderbolt
Townsend Sphere L22 w/ Putnam Mic Collection
LUNA (I have Pro Tools 2020 as well)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Commit doesn't work with Midi clip and VE Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtlaw View Post
I tried using commit for the first time on a midi clip and it didn't work.

The midi clip is accessing samples from a slave computer that is hosting VE Pro. When I play back the midi clip before I Commit it sounds fine. So then I did the commit function and Pro Tools does the offline bounce but comes back with a audio file that has no audio.

What am I missing?
Try committing from the track that has VE Pro's output in PT. In other words, from the instrument track that's outputting the sound.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Try committing from the track that has VE Pro's output in PT. In other words, from the instrument track that's outputting the sound.
In my current session I have 4 VePro plugins, each in its own instrument track and each VePro plugin hosts about 35+ midi tracks. Its a multi timbral plugin (like Ez Drummer for example).

I could try committing from one of the aux outputs but I was trying to see if the midi commit would work for a specific midi track from a multi timbral set up.

So my next question is, does midi commit work allow you to isolate one midi track from a multi timbral set up or does it just work with the instrument track only?

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram, OSX 10.12.3
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, SSD drives running VE Pro 7
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo X8, Twin Duo & Quad Satellite Thunderbolt
Townsend Sphere L22 w/ Putnam Mic Collection
LUNA (I have Pro Tools 2020 as well)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtlaw View Post
In my current session I have 4 VePro plugins, each in its own instrument track and each VePro plugin hosts about 35+ midi tracks. Its a multi timbral plugin (like Ez Drummer for example).

I could try committing from one of the aux outputs but I was trying to see if the midi commit would work for a specific midi track from a multi timbral set up.

So my next question is, does midi commit work allow you to isolate one midi track from a multi timbral set up or does it just work with the instrument track only?
You could assign different outputs to different VI's in VEP and have corresponding instrument tracks in PT for each instrument. That is, instead of midi tracks you could use instrument tracks (which can carry both midi data and audio) You'll have to assign the inputs of your instrument tracks to the corresponding outputs in VEP, and that way you can have each instrument on its own track in PT. If you are not doing this because you want to conserve resources, you'll have to mute the instruments and commit them one after the other from the main VEP track (the one with the VEP plugin}.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:11 AM

If you have vepro instruments routed to different auxiliary inputs on protools you can commit the auxiliary inputs or the whole veppro instance. If you do the auxiliary just the one you commit will render but if you do the veppro instance all the auxiliary inputs will render. This is how I usually work. I never tried to commit the Midi track itself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk