Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Default Issues with MIDI recording after upgrade to PT 12.7

I guess I picked the wrong time to allow my machine to upgrade to 12.7. I needed to have the music to a film trailer out today. I spent the previous 2 days trying to fix problems that occurred from upgrading to 12.7 with PT and iLok.

Today, I thought I could finish the project. NOPE. Suddenly, MIDI recording isn't working correctly. I opened a project that was working without issue 4 days ago. However, after the upgrade, MIDI was no longer recording. I switched over to using instrument tracks, hoping that would help. It will now record the MIDI, but it won't record the sustain. I've checked and double checked MIDI filters to make sure it's set to record that information, and yes, it is. Now I'm at a dead end.

Here's the setup: PT 12.7 / Windows 10 professional 64 bit. Alesis Q49 controller connected via USB. I have signal, and I can record the MIDI notes, but it won't record the sustain from my sustain pedal. You can hear the sustain while playing, so I know the pedal didn't suddenly break. MIDI filters are set to record "All", with no exceptions. This was not a problem before the upgrade to PT 12.7.

Any suggestions? If I don't get this working today, I've completely wasted my time making this trailer that is supposed to be released before Christmas. Ugh.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Issues with MIDI recording after upgrade to PT 12.7

So sorry to hear this gdiddy.
  • Do you have a clone or restore point to roll back to?
  • What version were you running previously?
  • MIDI Merge enabled/disabled?
  • Trashed Prefs?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:23 PM

Pardon me for saying so, but I just don't get it. How is it possible that you would change anything in the middle of an important project, with others relying on you to deliver. No current backup? Nothing to fall back to? There is absolutely no excuse, with all the options available today, for that to happen. What is the point of this post anyway? The whole thing fails the common sense test and just sounds off.

I really don't like to sound harsh, but really WTF. Own it.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Hard drives are cheap. I have PT 10 back to snow leopard all the way to the latest versions. New version not working? Go back to one that does.

And never upgrade in the middle of anything where your rep is on the line. Happened once to me 12 years ago. Never again. That one only cost me a grand , and my rep with a client and her friends