Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Default Headphone cue send setup in Pro Tools... thoughts?

Hey!

So I'm just starting to use pro-tools as my main headphone cue sends and I've got most everything sorted out (I think) except for one issue... talk back. Here's my current setup:

I've got my session set up as I typically do... drums, bass, gtrs, vocals etc... with most everything going to outputs 1-2 (except for a few things that are bussed to a master which then goes to 1-2... aka, Kick Master, Snare, etc...).

Analog Outputs 1-2 of my HD system are going direct into my Mackie Big Knob and then out to my monitors.

Analog Outputs 3, 4, 5, and 6, are being sent directly into the 4 available returns (A, B, C, and D) on my snake and out to my live room, where they terminate into 1/4" jacks... this is where I will plug in four sets of headphones for the band to hear during tracking.

In Pro Tools, I'm creating sends from individual tracks (for instance, my drum master buss, my guitar busses, and my bass buss) that are going to four separate aux masters, which in turn is going to analog outputs 3, 4, 5, or 6 (so that I can have four separate headphone mixes, one for every member of the band that is tracking LIVE).

However, my main talkback has always been my Big Knob, and I can't seem to come up with any feasible way of routing it into the path so that the band can hear me. As I'm tracking live and I just have the single 192i/o I was planning on using all 16 inputs already for recording the band.

Is the only way for me to get talk back into the cans going to be to sacrifice one of my microphones in the live room, and to then either route say the left output of the 'phones output' on my Big Knob BACK into pro tools on that channel and to sub sequentially bus it out to each analog output 3-6 or is there a simpler solution that I'm just not seeing?

I've never done HP's this way and would appreciate any help! How are you using talkback if you're using PT to make your headphone mixes?

Until now I've typically tracked piece by piece or with scratch takes, this will be the first totally LIVE session I'm doing... I was simply taking the phones amp out of my Big Knob and sending that to send A and B on the snake, into a spare mixer, and then that would serve as phones for the drumer, then the two separate headphone jacks on the front of the big knob into C and D sends for two other players... main drawback being that everyone (including me!) has the same mix, which is usually what the drummer wants which typically entails something the other musicians don't want.

Regardless, thanks for any advice... it's much appreciated!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Headphone cue send setup in Pro Tools... thoughts?

Keevhren,

I use a microphone in one auxiliary input of protools and Massey "Talkback" plugin :

http://www.smassey.com/plugin.html

This nice free plugin cut the talkback when PT is in playback mode and open it when hitting stop. But if you don't want to use any input from PT. Presonus has a nice headphone amp with talkback features. You can feed a cheap mic directly in the unit and it allow 6 differents cue mixes. The talkback can also be triggered by a foot switch.

Here is the link if you want to know more:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...px?ProductId=6

Hope that helps!
http://immersivesoundvr.com/