Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Default Soundtoys AAX news...

Hi,

Soundtoys has posted some news about AAX development on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/SoundToys

SoundToys
64bit in progress, and making headway. We have kept an eye on aspects of 64bit that cross over to AAX so when we're done with 64bit, we will be able to leap into AAX. AAX(DSP) is not in development. That will be on hold until we are done with 64bit. Once we begin AAX native, we will make the decision of doing or not doing AAX DSP, but right now, it's not in progress. That doesn't mean we won't do it, it just means we have to finish other things before making that decision.

I suggest that those who want to see Soundtoys AAX DSP in the future let them know that it's important. I would like to have Soundtoys DSP plugins available when i'll buy my new HDX rig for sure!

Thanks...

Luc
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Soundtoys AAX news...

I'm astounded that professional companies like Soundtoys are not embracing the AAX=DSP market. From Avid's point of view, porting AAX Native to AAX DSP is a simple job and not a daunting task like RTAS to TDM.

There is something awry here. First Waves, now Soundtoys.

Time to find a good Echoboy DSP replacement.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Without AAX DSP, I'll be pretty much done with Soundtoys.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM

I think companies are waiting to see what happens to AAX DSP. I mean its future really depends on HDX sales. The vast majority of plugin developers seems to be cautious.

Although Waves seems to have less importance these days, their decision to not (yet) support DSP AAX may have a big impact on the others. Of course I can be completely wrong about this.

All in all, there are very few companies around who clearly expressed that they will support this new DSP platform. I hope many will.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM

I really hope they don't kill soundblender, but unfortunately, I think the writing is on the wall. My guess is that since they never wanted to make an RTAS version of soundblender, we won't see an AAX native version of it either... and if we don't get an AAX native version....

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM

I think this is ominous news. Not a fan of Digi/Avid plugs.....
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Yeah, this is not good news. I really miss my Echoboy in DSP.

I'll definitely be voicing my opinion with SoundToys.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

MacPro 12core 3.46Ghz (5,1)
OSX v10.14
48GB RAM
1x HDX
2x HD i/o 16x16, 1x Digi192 8in/16out
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 on HDX
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Without AAX DSP, I'll be pretty much done with Soundtoys.
Just don't know if I could let go of them. One of the few software companies I truly enjoy all their products and look forward to new ones. I honestly can't see them letting the aax market slip away from them

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM

I agree Soundtoys makes some great plugins. The real consideration that many companies are faced with is host based power in two years when PT11 is real, established and pertinent. With the roadmap that Intel is beginning to crank up I feel that the HDX sales will suffer greatly. HDX is better on paper now and for a little while longer if Avid does not cripple the Native systems. The writing on the wall however was there before the release of Avid's latest greatest offering. Latency issues aside, there are growing pains for both camps but in the end Native will be the market that dominates and perhaps the only one to survive. With AAX being the same code in both forms and the incredibly powerful CPUs on there way and perhaps future node sharing, why invest in HDX? Yes I took an Ambien before typing this so don't flame me but consider how efficient PT11 will be! A complete new rewrite, not a patched system. With this clean and lean new 64 bit system and Intel's new processors your going to have amazing native performance. SMILE!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2light View Post
I agree Soundtoys makes some great plugins. The real consideration that many companies are faced with is host based power in two years when PT11 is real, established and pertinent. With the roadmap that Intel is beginning to crank up I feel that the HDX sales will suffer greatly. HDX is better on paper now and for a little while longer if Avid does not cripple the Native systems. The writing on the wall however was there before the release of Avid's latest greatest offering. Latency issues aside, there are growing pains for both camps but in the end Native will be the market that dominates and perhaps the only one to survive. With AAX being the same code in both forms and the incredibly powerful CPUs on there way and perhaps future node sharing, why invest in HDX? Yes I took an Ambien before typing this so don't flame me but consider how efficient PT11 will be! A complete new rewrite, not a patched system. With this clean and lean new 64 bit system and Intel's new processors your going to have amazing native performance. SMILE!
People always seem to forget a few thing, no matter how fast your computer will be, the additional power of the dsp system will always be there to boost the power of the computer for one. Second, HDX is made in a way that this hybridicity (yeah I know it's not a word hehehe) is even more apparent as the fact that it takes less voice to use native plugins now than it would with the HD systems in the past. That's also a plus for the HDX system. And as always, the fact that when recording with plugins on, even a high count, you can always expect good performance from the HDX card in term of low latency, which sorry, you still can't do with native or UAD dsp system. It's getting better, but the fact is that it's not there and even in two years (when people were saying 5 years ago that dsp would be dead by now) it's still not close to being true that you can track with huge plugin counts on a native system without suffering from latency, disabling plugins to be able to drop the buffer size that the hugeness of your session and numbers of plugin brought in. That again ensures a future for the HDX card.

Wave-T.com