Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 AM

Default Multiple recording interfaces

I have been using ProTools with Digidesign interfaces for a number of years, although not extensively. I have a Digi 001 Rack, a Digi 002 Rack, and a M-box. The 001 uses a card, the 002 uses Firewire, and the M-box uses USB. I can connect them all to a single computer, although I have never done that. I have connected the 001 and the M-box to the same computer, and the 002 and the M-box to the same computer. In both instances, ProTools will recognize both of the interfaces but will not let me run a ProTools session using both interfaces, which one allow me to increase the number of inputs. Is there a way to use two different interfaces during one ProTools session?
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Multiple recording interfaces

NO!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 AM

Thanks, Lynn. You said that "no" with emphasis, like this was "sacred" ground I was treading upon. Is there some unwritten "user's code" that I violated here? Just want to understand. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 AM

It is just that this has been asked may times and every time the answer has been no. If you need more inputs, the 001 and the 002 (and 003) firewire interfaces have an ADAT optical port that supports 8 additional digital input channels up to 48KHz. You can use something like the Presonus Digimax, Focusrite Octopre, or M-Audio Octane which are 8 channel mic pres with the ADAT optical outputs. Apogee also makes an 8 channel A/D converter only with ADAT outputs so that you can use your own mic pres. Additionally you can use any SPDIF equipped mic pre for 2 more channels of input. Maximum total inputs are therefore 18. If you still need more inputs, you will need to look into the Protools HD line of products but be prepared to spend some serious money.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 AM

as stated above, it is asked about every other day. nothing personal, just gets kinda annoying.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
as stated above, it is asked about every other day. nothing personal, just gets kinda annoying.
well if it is an annoying, why don't they change it?

Pro Tools is one of the best recording programs availible, but the biggest draw back is the fact that you are limited to one single interface at a time. And on top of that, an interface made by Digidesign (or M-Audio technically). If it weren't for the fact that I got training on LE, HD, and ICON through my school, I would most likely pick a different program simply for the hardware reason.

But don't get me wrong, I love Pro Tools and I don't think there is anything wrong with the interfaces they offer as far as quality and so forth. I just want more inputs, man! Is that too hard to ask for?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 AM

I am new to this forum, having only joined a few weeks ago. So I was not aware that the question had been asked before. I did a search for multiple interfaces and did not get any "hits", so I asked the question. Thanks for the ideas on how to get more inputs. Appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangej View Post
well if it is an annoying, why don't they change it?... I just want more inputs, man! Is that too hard to ask for?
I understand your point. Who wouldn't mind more inputs. I think the number of inputs begins to be limited by the firewire bandwidth or USB bandwidth for each interface. I'm sure they would rather give you something that they can safely say works with the number of imputs available. Can you imagine the response if they came out with an interface (or a multiple interface solution) to support 40 inputs but it bogs down and only works with like 22. They'd never hear the end of it.

Check the way allocate your inputs and perhaps there are techniques to not need as many simultaneously. A drum set does not necessarily sound better recorded with 16 mics than using 3 or 4. Dverdub (layering tracks) is a common and effective technique used for recording. Actually having fewer simultaneous inputs reduces crosstalk and leakage onto other tracks. Having said that, certain situation (live recording of a whole band, or orchestras playing together at the same time) are valid reasons to need more inputs. At some point Protools HD becomes necessary to support the number of inputs if 18 is too few.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1