Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2002, 09:52 AM

Default RECORDING GUITAR DIRECT

This may sound silly, but I've recorded guitars directly in the 1/4 inch input of the digi001 and the signal is very weak( I DO NOT HAVE A MIXER). Do I need to run through a pre amp? Has anyone done the same thing?
Thanks,
Fernando [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 10:20 AM

Default Re: RECORDING GUITAR DIRECT

Is the guitar pot turned all the way up? Is the mic pad switch pressed? Have you gone to the input page and adjusted the gain higher?

When you say the 1/4" input, do you mean the rear inputs? Those are line inputs. Try the front inputs.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:27 AM

Hi,
It works on the front inputs as long as you don't have the pad inserted.

The sound can be somewhat 'different' though...

Mark
Old 02-10-2002, 11:52 AM

Guitars' pickups put out a very weak signal (that falls in the mV range) so it's no surprise that your guitar signal is so low: that's the reason guitarists "usually" go thru a preamp; you can surely use the ones built in 001, but they're not specifically designed to treat a guitar signal; this doesn't mean it's not going to work, you'll get a different tone from the instrument (direct sound), which in selected cases can be the thing you need; forget about getting "big" guitar (and amp) sounds this way, you can get very clean plain flat sounds that can be killer for some rythm parts or clean arpeggios (think 80's kinda sound), or you can go with a plugin like Bomb Factory Sans Amp to get a distorted one, but again it will be no substitute for a real guitar/amp/mic combination.

Cheers

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 12:37 AM

Behringer V-Amp!

Hehehehe...

Cheap. Good. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 03:42 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fe.martin:
Do I need to run through a pre amp? Has anyone done the same thing?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save yourself a whole bunch of time and use a guitar amp and mic or direct out of the amp into the digi. If you do not, more than likely, you will end up pretty unsatisfied with your guitar sounds.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:23 AM

YOU ARE RIGHT!
I DO MIC THE AMP ALSO. BUT BECAUSE OF NEIGHBORS I CAN'T HAVE THE AMP ON. SOMETIMES I DO THE RECORDINGS A LITTLE LATE.
BUT DEFINITELY THE SOUND OF AN AMP AND MIC IS THE REAL THING!!
THANKS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jopry:

Save yourself a whole bunch of time and use a guitar amp and mic or direct out of the amp into the digi. If you do not, more than likely, you will end up pretty unsatisfied with your guitar sounds.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-14-2002, 01:38 PM

You need a direct box! Mic and guitar signals operate at different impedances. You get sound that is week. In fact different mics operate at different impedances, high end mic pre's let you adjust the input impedance, check out the Alesis Vipre or Digi's new PRE.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:55 PM

I bought a Mesa studio20/20 last week used for 150 bucks - You can use it as a pre for guitar (sounds great) and you can mic it when permitted (sounds great, not too loud)...
Old 02-15-2002, 01:59 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fe.martin:
YOU ARE RIGHT!
I DO MIC THE AMP ALSO. BUT BECAUSE OF NEIGHBORS I CAN'T HAVE THE AMP ON. SOMETIMES I DO THE RECORDINGS A LITTLE LATE.
BUT DEFINITELY THE SOUND OF AN AMP AND MIC IS THE REAL THING!!
THANKS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know what you mean about the neighbor thing. When I get the urge to rock out at 3 am, I go into a Boogie Triaxis, then bring the outputs direct into the digi (dry, add effects later if you need or want). I often like the sound so much that I tend to mix it with a mic'd amp track or even by itself for a final cut. As a side note, this works exceptionally well on an Ovation acoustic too. Happy strummin' [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]