Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 PM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
The duc wouldn't be the duc without our daily dose of "Avid is the worst I can't stand it anymore so long Pro Tools see y'all later tx bye"

My only complaint about Pro Tools is that there should be only one version, the hardware being the sole difference between an "HD rig" and a "Vanilla rig". The software should be the same for both - other companies give you surround and trim automation for a fraction of PTHD's price, which is unfairly high *imo*.
It's not as simple as that, people have to come to the understanding that most of us here are peanuts to Avid, thier money is in ABC, NBC, Universal Studios, Mirimax, ESPN, and every other post company out there. The days of Protools being an audio recording minus video ended over a decade ago.

All of us, are an ancillary revenue stream, it's why we have zero voice of change, it's why ideascale is a joke!

Those that have to have it, to be comparable with other business, it is what it is, they all have come to that conclusion, which is why they tend to defend Avid, they feel like they have to. We are all holding on to the past, we ain't gonna change nuthin'!

Every single one of us could leave today and Avid could care less! The people that work at Avid care, but not the company!

That is the reality, cold as it is, it's business, and at least that, I can respect!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-02-2017, 11:06 PM

It is funny, How People come here to say about other good or bad DAW's, but the thing is: they "Never come back" and they still here!!! I don't get it, Is like to say, I miss my old girlfriend, but " I love my actual girlfriend" but I want to be with my old girlfriend!!

Yes some time Pro Tools and AVID people make wrong things, but at the and, Everybody has concern about AVID is doin with Pro Tools!!!!

P.S. It is Funny!!!!

People talk like Expert!!! But Reality: They are so beginners
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 AM

I have many posts of my opinion on PT shortcomings and direction. I have also posted much more on questions and helping other users over a long time. I currently do believe other DAWs (Logic and S1 in particular) have made much larger advances for Audio recordists than PT. So much so that they are my primary DAWs today after 17+ years of PT being in that place. But I still own PT Vanilla with active "plan" that in 2017 has added zero for my workflow and check in here regularly to see whats up.

I believe all of this gives me a very good reason to continue to post opinions for any that may commiserate or find it useful .
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM

I didn't delete PT from my system just because another DAW is my primary application now. I do offer help when I can, and opinions when they seem appropriate. I'm spending a lot less time here since my subscription expired a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonsdeejay View Post
It is funny, How People come here to say about other good or bad DAW's, but the thing is: they "Never come back" and they still here!!! I don't get it, Is like to say, I miss my old girlfriend, but " I love my actual girlfriend" but I want to be with my old girlfriend!!

Yes some time Pro Tools and AVID people make wrong things, but at the and, Everybody has concern about AVID is doin with Pro Tools!!!!

P.S. It is Funny!!!!

People talk like Expert!!! But Reality: They are so beginners
Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I always had good luck on motunation.

However, the question we need to ask is what's worse - Avid or Gibson or Bomb Factory Erik?
oh wow i remember the bomb factory saga all over various forums. Gibson the worse for buying tech and killing it. Studio vision pro anyone?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I have many posts of my opinion on PT shortcomings and direction. I have also posted much more on questions and helping other users over a long time. I currently do believe other DAWs (Logic and S1 in particular) have made much larger advances for Audio recordists than PT. So much so that they are my primary DAWs today after 17+ years of PT being in that place. But I still own PT Vanilla with active "plan" that in 2017 has added zero for my workflow and check in here regularly to see whats up.

I believe all of this gives me a very good reason to continue to post opinions for any that may commiserate or find it useful .
I've got indisputable proof that logic automation playback timing is all over the place, and i used it from 97 to Jan 2016.
Logic has folders, integrated audio to midi/pitch correct, and midi plugins over PT..that's it.

PT has an almost instant engine response time (in Logic, deleting or editing any audio during playback takes 3 seconds minimum to hear the result, even a gain change), way better automation timing and the best clip gain envelopes ever. They are so good you can really tone down on your compression use.

So PT has things over logic also.. When PT gets folders which ARE coming which means avid do listen, and even if they just adopt ARA (they don't need their own special pitch algorithm logic's is crap anyway, i used melodyne in it!), we well be able to do everything logic does.. You made it sound as if we are "so" behind.
Also logic has no good sounding time stretch options because, as with everything, apple had to be stubborn and only use their own algos like with the pitch transform.. they are simply mediocre.

In PT we can choose X form and now elastique pro 3 which is the same as ableton/cubase/reaper and some others.

I ALWAYS had live rewired to logic so i could time stretch beats and audition them to logic's tempo.. guess what, you can do that with ANY aiff or wav file in PT just like ableton, right from PT workspace browser, i can finally sell my ableton cause of PT. In Logic, you can only audition apple loops with tempo metadata in project time. And even that is super slow, flicking from loop to loop is SO slow before logic reacts.

As far as midi I am sorry, but the myth that Logic has better midi than PT is just that, a myth. Cubase is slightly ahead with it's vst expression controller editing and the logical processor function where you can create scripts for tons of midi functions (anything you could think of), but logic just isn't.

I can't use audiounits offline in logic like i can with aax in PT.

I don't understand why avid won't adopt ARA.. now, THAT i find weird as it's free for THEM to do so, and it would be our call whether to buy melodyne or not, and it would insta solve the audio to midi and pitch stuff. That's a little strange of them and i can't work out why, but it is what it is. At least not all is lost as i can use the aax melodyne studio plugin which is better than nothing.

The big one for me is folder tracks and midi plugins like integrated arps and stuff, and i reckon it's coming.

PT is not so behind at all. It's audio engine is incredibly advanced, it's audio editing is just superb and it's very much a 2 window paradigm..arrange and mix. Or you can do everything from arrange page anyway if that's your thing. A very straightforward and easy to grasp software..
Old 09-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post

Pretty much where I am. Almost always Logic. Didn't you have a DigiGrid setup at one time then go to an HDX rig?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post

Crazy !!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Depends on if you build it or buy it. Obviously if you build it, you will come out significantly cheaper on the PC because you aren't paying for all the precision engineering that goes into building a Mac chassis. With a PC you can splurge on the components and go cheaper on the enclosure. The point is that it can be done cheaper on a PC because you don't have to make every single inch of the PC comparable. There's videos all over YouTube showing this. Obviously they always leave out the part about how much more usable software a Mac comes included with that a PC doesn't and the fact that with a custom PC (or even store bought) there's not many physical locations you can take the PC for free face to face support with someone that knows about your specific model, and the fact that you can't just take a custom PC out of the box and just start working, and the fact that custom PC's have little resale value. But that's all beside the point. In the perfect functioning audio world, a custom PC could be built cheaper than a comparable Mac. With Mac, you don't have the option to build (excluding hackintosh). My original point was that if you are already a PC owner, you can easily switch to any DAW you want, except Logic. If you want to try Logic, you need to buy a new Mac, which in some cases, could be expensive to a person that builds PC's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmOHU6lmRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOH0hdYR36Y
I have a 12 Core Mac Pro with 64 GB memory, I get Geekbench scores over 31,000, I have a total of $700 invested in the machine.

I replaced my previous MP with it. It was a 2007 MP 1.1 that I just sold for $225, I paid $1200 for it in 2007. You could build a smoking PC, that lest say you have 1400 invested in, the very next day, you couldn't even sell it. Nobody buys used PC's, nobody......

I sold a 10 year old computer for $225..........

That being said, I agree that the Trash Can MP's are grossly over priced, and I personally would never buy one.....Apple lost their freaking minds on that computer....

That being said, an I7 iMac is a screaming machine, that will last longer than we can. I have been using Mac's since 1997, I have always had multiple Macs in my home, in all that time, I have never had a single breakdown, not a single issue, not one. Well, excluding a couple of hard drives, but that has nothing to do with Mac.

I've never had a virus, I've never had to buy antivirus, I've never had spam issues, adaware, none of it. In all those decades, I've never had to fix, work on anything Mac related. Protools, another story. but even then, all things considered, PT has been clear sailing for me through PT11.

I'm not anti PC, they have come a very long way in their compatibility with DAW's. I easily remember the days where they were a nightmare.....it wasn't that long ago.....

I'm not trying to sell you on Mac, I could care less what you use. What is driving your apparent need to force feed your opinion down peoples throat? Be secure in your computer of choice. If it enables you to make music, then celebrate it, enough of this nonsense about one being a better value or whatever, it makes you look small...You are better than that!

For the record, I've built at least 50 P/C's in my day for friends. Over all those years, I have looked at the cost of building a comparable PC with comparable (PARTS) to a Mac Pro, this is where most people avoid that part of the discussion, when everything is apples to apples, no pun intended, the prices line up very close to each other, often times the Mac coming out cheaper, well, excluding the Trashcan's, and I've already shared my thought on that garbage of an idea!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-04-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
well, excluding the Trashcan's, and I've already shared my thought on that garbage of an idea!!!

No pun intended....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.