Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Default Question on different Program Downloads for PT 8 LE

Here's your dumb question for the day. I'd appreciate an answer to it.

When one goes to the Digidesign Store to buy Pro Tools 8 LE, You are given a choice in a drop-down box of either buying the "Full Download" or "Shippable Box" version for $149.95 each, etc.

What I'd like to know is what's the difference between the above two versions?

I know the first one, "Download", is exactly what it says it is, but what is the "Shippable Box" version?

I don't want to download over the internet as it is a huge program. I also see they sell a DVD disk version for $29.95 extra.

I guess my question is ...."What is the drop-down box's "Shippable Box" version and is the extra $$$ DVD the only way to download the program other than over the internet?"
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Question on different Program Downloads for PT 8 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdok View Post
Here's your dumb question for the day. I'd appreciate an answer to it.

OK lets see here... 1st thing is that there isn't much difference besides the fact u'd get 1 asap or the other Shipped to u & have to wait for it(Shippable Box) As for the downloading, a Shipped hard copy wouldn't be a download; It would be a Shippable Boxed Set/Version...

As for the Extra cash, my opinion is that it's not worth it but thatz really ur call...

So my dum question for the day to u is, Do u wanna pay now, get now/or pay later/get later?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM

OK, So you're saying there IS some sort of hard media storage that comes with the "Shippable Box" option for the downloading of the PT 8 LE program (CDs or DVDs?) right?

I'd rather wait and have that on hand so if I ever need to reinstall it I'll have the disks or whatever handy and not have to go through the multi-hour download thing that a friend had to go through and who was not particularly happy about it.
Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Actually all u have to do, & I don't understand why 1 wouldn't do this in the 1st place, but once u download it, u can save the zip to as many places as needed &/or Burn it to DVD's yourself... But to each his own I guess...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM

I can see doing the shipped box if you have a slow (dial-up or marginal DSL) connection

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdok View Post
OK, So you're saying there IS some sort of hard media storage that comes with the "Shippable Box" option for the downloading of the PT 8 LE program (CDs or DVDs?) right?

I'd rather wait and have that on hand so if I ever need to reinstall it I'll have the disks or whatever handy and not have to go through the multi-hour download thing that a friend had to go through and who was not particularly happy about it.
Thanks
For $150 you are buying the license. If you choose the DL, then you are provided with links to get it.

If you choose the "Shippable Box", you then have to buy the DVDs for $30 and pay to have them shipped..

At least that's how I understand it..

Quote:
f you don’t have access to broadband Internet service and need a physical installation disc to upgrade to Pro Tools LE® 8 software, you can purchase the upgrade on DVD for an additional charge on top of your relevant Pro Tools LE® 8 Software Upgrade, which you must also purchase to obtain a license to use the software on this disc.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 PM

You can also go to a Digi retailer(like GC or samash) and just buy the package for the exact same price. I prefer to have the hard copy, but that's just me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave