Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Default OMF Import Track Offset Problem

Hey All,

So I'm a little new to the Post game. Though I've turned in a successful feature in the past and several short films and a TV doc. I'll preface by saying that I still have much to learn. I'm having an issue with an OMF import and more specifically the Track offset settings, partially grasping the exact purpose, and more importantly executing my import successfully. To this date i haven't received a session that required this. Even from the same organization.

The person who sent me the OMF won't be in the office for a few days and so I am trying to figure this out on my own so that I can get started on dialogue. His accompanying instructions were as follows:

Make sure your Pro Tools settings match the export settings.
Check below for error messages
Start Time is: 09:59:46:03
ProTools Offset value is: 600:22.111
Frame Rate is: 23.976 fps
You can set this in Track Offset Options in Pro Tools

I have to assume that the value 600:22.111 is in minutes/secs
I have input the following settings in the attached Photo.

After importing, everything is way off on the timeline, and in reference to the timecode stamp on the Reference vid. It has shifted the location of my 2 pop which should fall at 9:59:46:03 to 19:59:44:03 (which makes no sense to me)

If I disregard the requested import settings and leave no track offset everything is fine.
Start time of 9:59:46:03
2 pop lands on 9:59:58:00 as it should.
And as far as I can tell all audio is in sync with picture just fine. So therefore all is well?

So I really can’t wrap my head around the reasoning for the offset (again, I’m new here) or more importantly how to execute this import successfully. And If I start work in my session without the offset (which to my eyes and ears seems to be in sync) am I jeopardizing something later in the process.

Is there somewhere that I’m doing wrong? Should I be using “Maintain relative timecode positions”? instead of absolute? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The other issue is that audio was not embedded in the OMF, but instead sent as aiff files. Which for some reason the Pro Tools auto search can’t locate so I am forced to manually link each one of the 3 hundred and something odd files, one at a time. So it makes trial an error a bit of a long game.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:53 PM

Default Re: OMF Import Track Offset Problem

Looks correct! In this case you don't need to enter the offset as you can see it was set in the OMF. The linking problem is something I've face never that quantity. Maybe someone else here has the best tip. But it sounds like you're in sync.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Wow okay thankyou. I guess I am overthinking here. I never received that readout from an editor before, realizing now that it is an auto-generated output message. Originally I misconstrued to be specific instructions. Well there goes a weekend of head scratching.

As for the auto-linking. I've read that it can be buggy. I updated to the latest version. I've even gone so far as to make sure that the audio files were placed in a folder that I know it is guaranteed to search in, but it overlooks it every time. Strange. Anyway I've already linked all the files, but any additional thoughts on that would definitely be welcome for future reference.

I usually request an embedded AAF so I don't encounter this problem too often.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:47 AM

As soon as I read that note you have added to the export I said to myself: "Premiere". Ignore all that stuff they send you and do the import the way you know it works for you--the TC of the export is supposed to land the files in their correct positions vs. picture--that's the whole point of this effort, right? If everything shows up and is in sync buy yourself a drink--you've had a lucky day.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 PM

Next time try telling it to relink by "Find Links : Name only", then it should find them.