Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Default PT 11 crashes with CD mounted

I've been running PT 11.1.1 successfully but discovered what appears to be a bug. If I mount an audio cd on a Samsung external USB DVD drive PT crashes. If a cd is mounted PT won't start. It does all of the startup search for plug-ins,etc. and then just disappears. Not sure if I should install 11.1.2 yet. Obviously I can work around it, but what's up?
Doug
Old 03-21-2014, 03:16 AM

Default Re: PT 11 crashes with CD mounted

What audio interface are you using?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-21-2014, 05:22 AM

Motu Ultralite Mk3, 10.9.1, Late 2013 MBpro
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdi View Post
I've been running PT 11.1.1 successfully but discovered what appears to be a bug. If I mount an audio cd on a Samsung external USB DVD drive PT crashes. If a cd is mounted PT won't start. It does all of the startup search for plug-ins,etc. and then just disappears. Not sure if I should install 11.1.2 yet. Obviously I can work around it, but what's up?
Doug
What do you mean PT disappears? Does it crash? Does the Dock icon for PT still show as a running program? I've not seen it in PT11 but PT10 has/had a habit of when opening of going back to the Mac desktop and you had to click on the icon in the Dock to bring it (PT) back to the fore. I've opened PT several times with cd's or dvd's in either the internal SuperDrive or an external HP cd/dvd drive connected via USB2 with no problem.

When the cd is in the drive do you by chance have iTunes open as well? If so quit iTunes and see if PT opens okay.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM

CD/DVDs are Read Only media, If Poo Tools is thinking it can write to it I can see that causing a crash

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-21-2014, 11:07 AM

When I say disappears, it shuts down and closes. Clicking on the icon goes through ProTools startup from the beginning. There is no sign of it in activity monitor. If PT is open it crashes. The next odd thing is when I attempt to save the crash log to any location on my hd it never gets written, so I have no crash log. DVDs pose no problem. As I said I can work around this issue, but the troubleshooter in me insists on finding the cause
Old 03-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
CD/DVDs are Read Only media, If Poo Tools is thinking it can write to it I can see that causing a crash
Beg to differ; cd and dvd's are not read only media or else no one would be able to burn cd's of their music or dvd's of their movies. There might be something with the driver for the drive causing an issue though.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 PM

I'd look at the automatic setting for when a CD in inserted, I don't know what's causing it

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Beg to differ; cd and dvd's are not read only media or else no one would be able to burn cd's of their music or dvd's of their movies. There might be something with the driver for the drive causing an issue though.
OK I should have been more clear. To Pro Tools files on a burnt disk are read only and files dragged and dropped from an optical disk to a hard drive are read only by default and need to have there permissions changed or you get a -5000 error if you try to write to them

Thank you,

Craig