Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Digi would you perhapse lower the pci to pcie crossgrade prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
I'm still on a G5 2.7DP w/ PCI cards.

Why didn't I upgrade? My system is stable. Rock solid. Paid for. it works. Sounds great.

As a business, I need to see ROI on all investments. Will I see any benefit from the crossgrade? Zero. Will I book one more session with a faster mac? Nope. Will I get more work done? Not likely. We rarely wait for the machine -- we're usually waiting for the talent or inspiration. Can I be more productive with an 8-core intel? maybe. Worth the expense (and downtime) to do it? I would never recoup it. Ever.

n what I have? A crossgrade does not make anything better - just compatible. If something is better, let's talk. But if it's just for compatibility with a new CPU, how can we justify this expense? I surely can't.

Exactly on the mark. My original Minimoog still sounds great, actually it's so burnt in and calibrated better now that it's BETTER then new. My G5x2 and HD3 system will last me the rest of my career. Ain't broke and no need to fix it.

kopper
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dann View Post
The cross-grade actually does get you something better - a Mac Pro. I went from HD3 on a G5 dual 2.7, to HD2 on a new (2009) 8-core. The difference is shocking. The Mac Pro is many times more powerful than my HD3/G5 system was, so I dropped a card to help pay for the change (selling the third card paid for half of the upgrade). I run all of my plugins rtas now (except on aux and master faders, as well as tracking sessions). I have what feels like a bottomless pit of power, and can just keep throwing stuff at it and it doesn't care. HD3 on a G5 never felt like that.
Well like i said....rather than the crossgrade for 6 cards, a mac pro, and a new expansion chassis which would have been VERY expensive I just upgraded to the PCI-x PCIe MAgama chassis by swapping out the boards for $1500 total which let me Run my old cards with an 8 core mac pro!! best of all worlds! Then with 6 accel cards in the chassis there was still PCIe slots in the Mac PRo to add UAD2 cards !! Plus all that RTAS ...... and YES that certainly feels like a bottom less pit to me ! and all that without having to pay all that money for the crossgrade!

Honestly this is the first time I think I have ever felt I have no need to upgrade anything....and hope they dont come out with anything new anytime soon. I mean this thing really rocks as is.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Forget the cross grade promo. Sell your cards, buy a used Mix Core for less than 300.00 then get the Mix to HD1 upgrade for 3700.00. Now you've got a brand new HD1 PCIE 4,000 invested and sell your old system, subtract that and wham, much cheaper than cross grade. You can do this for just and HD1, or up to a three, just buy the old mix cards and go as far as you want up to an HD3.

Only trick, make sure you can do a transfer of ownership from who you get the Mix cards from. Be patient, they are pretty easy to come by.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 AM

+1 for cheaper crossgrade.

Factoring in the cost of the MacPro as well - it becomes kinda expensive.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:42 AM

I'm keeping my pci system for a bit longer. I'm waiting for some new digi hardware. I have a feeling that now is a bad time to invest in the old accel system.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 AM

My being a new PT let alone HD user I got in at a precarious time. Having only a HD-2 (which I love btw) I have been seriously considering buying another accel card. I figure unless Avid comes out with some super amazing hardware that just quadruples what you can do with a Mac 8 core native on one card. Or some kind of heavenly solution that none of us can even imagine at present. I think I will be okay with a HD-3 for at least another year or two.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:29 AM

I sold my PCI system when PCIe were just out and bought it brand new and I had little loss since my system was considered new at that time. It was way lower than crossgrade.

Since Digidesign already charged customers for R&D the
crossgrade shouldn't be more than the manufacturing of a new PCIe card or maybe just a bit more.

The new system(if there will be one) would be a dedicated box(DSP+i/o) Connect through ethernet or something
And expansion racks to it. So no more dependent to what computer makers decide to do.

Oz
Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 AM

I still have my HD3 PCI (non-accel) system running in a Dual G5 2GHz. I'm not planning on crossgrading soon, especially if the prices rise.

If Digi moves to a dedicated DSP box as you suggest, the new Light Peak interface technology created by Apple and Intel sounds like an interesting option. Intel has already demoed Light Peak using a Mac Pro prototype.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Sadly, as gear gets older it also gets more and more worthless (money-wise). I would welcome cheaper hardware exchanges as I have 4 legacy interfaces, but I fear the prices are only going up until the discounted hardware is not taken back at all
Old 09-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Better (lower) prices on crossgrades. yes please!