Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 On The Way ! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
To be honest I would be quite suprised if the next release will be full 64 bit. But I hope I will be proven wrong. I assume that it will only support lion, but won't be full 64bit.
Unfortunately you'd need some 64bit plugs as well, and there aren't any in RTAS format on either platform. I really doubt that 64bit will be slipped out in a maintenance update.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Exactly... it's a whole 'Chicken or Egg' scenario as well.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Unless they include a plug in update that includes 64 bit versions. Ya never know. But I assume like 7.4 and elastic audio , 64 bit will hold a price tag. But I would imagine that it would be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Unless they include a plug in update that includes 64 bit versions. Ya never know. But I assume like 7.4 and elastic audio , 64 bit will hold a price tag. But I would imagine that it would be reasonable.
Unfortunately, an AVID plugin will only part of the equation and certainly, 64 bit will be deserved a price tag, however, what most people forget, is that it still takes man hours (an old term I know) to make this stuff happen... ie TIME!

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM

Why not ? Avid has mentioned many times in the past it would consider 64 bit as part of its plans ... I don't see it sooo far ...

btw does anyone know if Lion is only 64 bit ?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM

No Lion still most definitely runs 32bit apps, however, those 32bit apps that require any of the Rosetta structure, will not work, as the framework is not present. (Sorry: That is very simplistic and incomplete).
More to the point....
As far as AVID is concerned, they can do what ever they'd like, however, as you mentioned, they've indicated that it's in their plans.
For those that are 'really' effected by the memory limitations imposed by the present scenario, there are solutions within VSL and similar that can be integrated with PTs with amazing results..... Just so many choices these days!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
To be honest I would be quite suprised if the next release will be full 64 bit. But I hope I will be proven wrong. I assume that it will only support lion, but won't be full 64bit.
This is where I am. "Beta" does raise the eyebrow and is definitely what one would expect with a 64 bit and/or RTAS 2 release. OTOH, beta could mean ensuring all is well on lion with a few other fixes. Guess we'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
64bit will hold a price tag. But I would imagine that it would be reasonable.
Yep. And, producers are paying $40 or $150 for Reaper ReWire and close to $300 for VE Pro. If PT just friggin supported 64 bit I'd pay whatever. It will be well worth the price for many.

EDIT: Maybe offer a discount for those with VE Pro and Reaper ReWire who can show proof of purchase prior to a certain date. What?! I can dream can't I?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM

I think its nicely poetic that the 64 bit version will wear the Pro Tools 10 or X moniker. Will be an good day indeed.

Good news the Lion release being baked.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Beta ... is 64 bit !!!!!!!! I wouldn't imagine a 9.0.5 only addressed to be compatible with Lion ... then what about the 9.0.5 for windows ?? we have no bugs to be fixed except switching to 64 bit !

Most likely beta should address the 64 bit issue ... (REASON 6 is announced 64 bit and is almost close to a complete DAW) ... Avid Share price is way down :P

It would be reasonable to offer an upgrade to 9.0.5 with a price .. I am sure all clients would pay ... :)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

I would imagine 64 bit would be 9.1. A major update is usually the first dot no? But ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk