Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjembe mutombo View Post
Really, people whining about the price of the cross grade? If you don't need the added features, continue to use LE 8 with your hardware. Otherwise, shell out the $250 and don't complain.

I feel like the only people that complain about the $250 upgrade price tag are the people who pirate plug-ins, mix & record in untreated environments, and own KRKs. If you are truly an "audio engineer" then you should be throwing around $250 like it is chump change.
I just shelled out money for a new 003, which not only do I not need now because of the lack of a HW requirement, but has also been DEVALUED by said lack of HW requirement. Avid's answer to that? "Thanks for the money! SUCKER!!!" I could have spent that money sending my 002 in to BLA for an upgrade. Could have spent it on something that allowed more inputs than any of the "LE" HW does. But, I didn't. I stuck with Avid because I'm a loyal customer.

I'm not saying the upgrade isn't worth the money. It is. I'm saying that having just spent money on their top of the line LE HW (which is now worth less than it was 24 hours ago), they should be offering me that $99 upgrade.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 PM

I have not watched this yet (I am doing it now) but according to another post if you bought after Oct 4th you can get PT9 for $99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqobH9x-Ik

Hmm well i didn't hear anything about $99. I guess the other post was wrong.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM

if you don't like the LE crossgrade price, just be glad you dont have M-powered, cause it'll cost you an additional $100 to upgrade

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilton View Post
I just shelled out money for a new 003, which not only do I not need now because of the lack of a HW requirement, but has also been DEVALUED by said lack of HW requirement. Avid's answer to that? "Thanks for the money! SUCKER!!!" I could have spent that money sending my 002 in to BLA for an upgrade. Could have spent it on something that allowed more inputs than any of the "LE" HW does. But, I didn't. I stuck with Avid because I'm a loyal customer.
How do you figure your HW has been devalued? The value of the hardware has always been in its features and what you can do with it, not the fact that it was proprietary. Your 003 is still worth what you paid for it because its a kickass interface, and can probably perform as well or better than any other similarly priced brand.

I'm guessing Avid worked on PT9 for a long time (at least a year probably), and knew they were going to get rid of the hardware requirements (Hell, EVERYONE has been screaming for them to do that for years, and you know it). Were they supposed to make an annoucement a year ago and say "Hey everybody, the next version of PT is not going to have a HW requirement, so stop buying our hardware!" That's not a smart business model. They didn't do that because they believe their HW can stand up to the competition on the market and users would still get value by using the HW on PT9. Could they offer you a better crossgrade price? Possibly. But they don't have to.

Think about it this way. When you buy an album from a band (like anybody does that these days...), do you believe that band owes you something for purchasing that album? Avid made the software & hardware, you purchased it; no one owes anything to anybody at that point. Avid is paying back its loyal customers (notice the "S", it's plural, that means ALL OF US), by giving us what we've been asking for for years; non-proprietary software, and ADC.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brell View Post
Avid is paying back its loyal customers (notice the "S", it's plural, that means ALL OF US), by giving us what we've been asking for for years; non-proprietary software, and ADC.
what does this have to do with the fact that MP costs $100 more than LE to crossgrade?

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Talking Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

The upgrades that are included are worth WAY more than $250. OMF import export? Digitranslator used to cost $300. INCLUDED 96 tracks, multitrack beat detective, ADC!!!! PRICELESS

Upgrade your dv toolkit for $300 get trim automation, snapshot automation, VCA groups(thank you) and 7.1 TOTALLY WORTH IT

Thanks Avid!

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Here it is in the Q n A http://www.livestream.com/aesavid/vi...edium=ui-thumb

its at 1hr:02min in the video
Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM

I think it is unfair to charge $250 to someone who just bought an Avid Mbox in September.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
INCLUDED 96 tracks, multitrack beat detective, ADC!!!! PRICELESS
lol.. ADC is priceless? dude, you realize Reaper, the $60 daw offered ADC before PT9?

the only thing that is sorta exciting in PT9 imo is multitrack beat detective.. practically everything else is stuff that is coming standard with much cheaper daws.. i mean wow 96 voices.. welcome to 2010 Avid..

Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
what does this have to do with the fact that MP costs $100 more than LE to crossgrade?
Nothing, I wasn't talking about that.