Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Avid: A question about "bug fixes" after my plan runs out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
The whole direction of this thread is pointless. It's not going to happen. Software design is a journey, not a destination. There will probably never be a perfect version. I'm almost 20 years in and haven't seen one yet.

Steve
It could safely be said that all discussion on this board, with regards to Avid is pointless because we all know they don't take much notice to most of the content here. Sad really because I believe they could be producing and delivering a far superior product if they did. I agree though, that nothing is going to happen.

Sure software development is a journey but it's supposed to be an enhancing one going forward in search of perfection, so why should the consumer pay for mistakes like newly introduced bugs in software that didn't have them in the previous version?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 12-05-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:14 PM

It's only pointless if you want to believe the way Avid is running things is ok.

But it's not. And, being an Avid user for over 10 years and spending TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on hardware and software with them, they are a LONG WAY off from where they started.

If you spent that much money on a car and it came with that many defects, there is NO WAY you (and every other owner) wouldn't be

A) at the dealership complaining to have it fixed
B) be part of a class-action against the manufacturer
C) invoking your right to the "lemon law", where if a car is not fixable you are entitled to a full refund.

This is not an "Anti-AVID" thread - this is a thread to say AVID THIS IS NOT OK!

I honestly DON'T CARE how Avid works out a way to provide updates whilst simultaneously providing "bug-fixes" to those with expired subscriptions, but they SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT.

They have customers over a barrel and it's UNETHICAL. End of point.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyssl View Post

If you spent that much money on a car and it came with that many defects, there is NO WAY you (and every other owner) wouldn't be
Except that you didn't BUY the car. You LEASED the car, and if you stop paying your lease, you don't get to keep the car and demand they fix the things you don't like forever and ever.

Again - I get the frustration, believe me... but the idea that paying for a software subscription is somehow the same thing as buying a physical product is inherently kind of flawed. You're agreeing to lease the software in the state it happens to currently exist, at any given time. That's really about it. It's always been that way with software, to one degree or another. If it doesn't work for you, then you should totally lease something else.

I mean, if the problems in PT are keeping you from getting work done and making a living, then it's kind of crazy to keep using it, yeah?

I can't shake the feeling that it's the idea of having to write a check every year, instead of whenever you feel like it, that's just really putting it right in our faces - and making it impossible to ignore - that you never really 'own' something like PT, and the thought of that is making people cranky.

EDIT - apologies for the caps - I don't know how to make italics work here.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey

Last edited by leftalive; 12-05-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Actually, I did pay outright (not lease) Pro Tools v5 all the way through v11. I also paid for a subscription for v12 under the proviso that there would be a perpetual license at the end of my current subscription, so I do "own" a license that grants me ownership of v12 software. Forever.

So, yes, I did "buy the car". And all the extra upgrades for said "car" including HD-TDM cards, HD Native cards, HDX cards, 888 I/O's, 192 I/O's, SYNC I/Os, 16x16 I/O's. So yes, I did buy the car.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:00 PM

I bought all that stuff, too. and I was bitterly unhappy with all of 11 and most of 12. 12.5.2 has been the best version in a long time. I'm getting ready to move to 12.6.1. It and Sierra are on my laptop right now. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think that PT is getting better. I do like Commit and some of the other features. I doubt that I'll ever use the Cloud, but never say never.

It costs me about $40 a month to keep my HD and my Vanilla copy up to date. I can update when I choose, or not if it seems buggy. It's really not that bad. And If I stop paying, I get to keep using my last version as long as I can find a computer to run it on.

It is what it is.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
For me personally I need a stable release! That would be my first priority.
I have run 12.6.1 on Sierra 10.12.1 for some time now, and from what I've experienced I would call this a stable combination.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have run 12.6.1 on Sierra 10.12.1 for some time now, and from what I've experienced I would call this a stable combination.
With all due respect, it's hard to deem this "stable" when there are still so many bugs... stereo tracks that PT mistakenly bounces to a mono sum, panning that gets ignored, tracks that just stop outputting audio even though the meters are showing, etc etc etc...
Old 12-07-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
Except that you didn't BUY the car. You LEASED the car, and if you stop paying your lease, you don't get to keep the car and demand they fix the things you don't like forever and ever.
I hope I never see 'your engine was unable to stop' on the dashboard of my car, no matter if I leased or bought it.'
Old 12-07-2016, 05:40 AM

My plan just expired, but I'm happy to park it where it is.
No telling when I'll resume... could be years... maybe never.

But I doubt I'll use another DAW... Protools is THAT good.
Of course, that could change, but so far...

The real reason for me is that I just don't like the direction Avid is taking Protools.
There's nothing new to entice me.

Besides, waiting for bug free software is a complete and utter pipe dream!
I hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as bug free anything.

Your computers OS, the drivers for all your hardware, every single piece of software running, each has some sort of bug crawling inside.

It seems that every version solves as many issues as it creates.
But I don't blame anyone. The bugs are not there on purpose.

No company could ever work hard enough to eratacate every bug... even if they wanted to.
It's just not possible. There are just too many moving parts... too many variables.

I'll admit it's a balancing act, but it will always be that way.
Just don't let yourself be led around by the nose.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
My plan just expired, but I'm happy to park it where it is.
No telling when I'll resume... could be years... maybe never.
Your non-renewal is the kind of feedback Avid needs to hear, and hopefully will do something about, with a reliable release under it.