Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-31-2001, 01:07 PM

Default Neve Preamp 1272?????

Where can one of these be located, and how much$$$
Old 10-31-2001, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Neve Preamp 1272?????

There a few companies that now put these pre-amps in their own boxes. A few of them are:

Brent Averill

Vintech Audio (guitar center used to stock them, occasionally you can still find them there)

I've also 'heard' that Universal Audio is using Neve 1272's in their high-end preamp boxes, but I can't confirm that. No matter which way you go, it's going to cost you at least $1500-$2000 for a pair of these pre's, but they are worth it if you can afford it.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:44 PM

Thanks slim, I have never recorded anything through a high quality pre, so I guess one of my main concerns would be, is the sound difference worth the money?
Old 10-31-2001, 04:56 PM

Short answer: yes

Long answer: Absolutely. Everything sounds better, definately thousands of dollars better, but you have to keep in mind what you're sending through the pre-amps. They're not going to make an SM57 sounds like a U87 if you follow me. I did notice that Brent Averill does sell a single channel 1272 for about $1100, it's just a better deal to get 2, you save about $400 that way.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:36 PM

Just like to add, Brent Averill is a great guy, and the techs that work there are cool too. Just give them a call and ask questions... they'd be happy to help. You can simply order stuff directly from Brent and pay with a credit card. He does amazing work. Can't go wrong with an Averill box... ask any audio professional. I use my Averill 1272s all the time, they're amazing. Brent also packages APIs, Calrecs, and other vintage stuff.

As for Vintech... not sure, but I did hear the new X-73 pre-eq unit that is essentially a copy of a Neve 1073 (the ultimate guitar box). The x-73 sounded excellent in my opinion... the eq was indeed very "Neve-ish"... and other guys that are very damiliar with real 1073s claim that the X-73 is indeed an excellent copy of the original.

So... you've got plenty of options. Just need to get a few big piggy banks and start filling them. This type of gear is WELL worth it. I personally would never even consider recording through anything other than top notch pres... if such excellent gear is not available, then I don't work.

Another thing to consider... this type of gear retains it's value very well. Audio professionals are always looking for these things, so you can't go wrong. If you spend say $1500 on a Neve pre or whatever, chances are you can get most of that dough back down the road if and when you need to sell. Gee, I bought a Calrec PQ-15 pre-eq from Brent about a year ago for $800 and now they're worth over $1500 if you can even find `em.

A lot of this stuff is appreciating fast... more demand, less supply. and to think that maybe 4 or 5 years ago you could have bought a Neve 1073 for probably $1000 or $1500 whatever... now they're at least $3500 a channel. Any excellent gear will retain it's value or appreciate. However, of course, any medocre stuff will become devalued very fast and be worth almost nothing... so don't bother with the typical stuff found at your local music-mart... most of that stuff is just money down the drain. Deal with guys like Brent Averill etc... start researching that side of things and you will be exposed to a whole new level of gear, the real stuff.

And to conclude... yes, one easy way to get into the upper realm is to get a one channel Neve 1272 from Brent for a little over a grand... this is an excellent option if you don't have too much to spend. Just record all your tracks through the 1272 and you'll be very happy. It'll make a big difference over any cheapo pre.

-imp
Old 11-01-2001, 12:47 AM

How do you guys use this boxes with 001? No Digital I/O, ....? Thanks./P.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by petter:
How do you guys use this boxes with 001? No Digital I/O, ....? Thanks./P.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the money pit. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you're gonna get a good analog pre, then you might also want a good A/D converter with digital I/O to go with it. You might also want a good compressor, and maybe an EQ too. You're also gonna need a......

Will the madness ever end????? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2001, 08:04 AM

thanks guys this is all good info, I have been saving for quite a while now, and not sure where to go, but Imp that definately sold me on the good stuf, are you sure you dont work for those guys, just joking.
thanks!
Yes this is fricken money pit, but I guess I could be driving a viper or something.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2001, 01:02 PM

imp, you've come to the same conclusions I have about all this stuff. I agree with all that, especially the TDM thing. For 10k you get software and a few pci cards, or you can get a 001 and have about $9,300 left over for a verrrry good front end - which ain't bad because I know a girl who paid about 15k for her front end.

but that's another story.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2001, 01:37 PM

I usally don't post but I have to give big props!! to Imp for his statement regarding using high quality preamps in front of 001
my boss and I have had heated discussions about this topic he wants full TDM system beliving projects will sound better than and increase productivity and higher track count of course my suggestion is high quality pre amps and outboard effects ex (eventide lexicon sony) clearly tdm has advantatge with track issue but i belive Logic audio has closed the gap with that I probaly should stop Now but this topic will probaly determine the future of the recording industry as more and plugins are developed.