Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Default Solid state drives

Has anyone here upgraded their hard disk to solid state? If so did you notice any dramatic improvements?

Also, if you purchase a solid state external disk and transfer all your sessions there as well as the digidesign folder containing the pro tools application then will that do anything towards preventing crashes and generally make it perform better?

I am asking because I am getting way too many crashes and cpu errors. I can't upgrade the processor so before I get a new computer I wanted to try a few last ditch efforts to fix this one.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Solid state drives

SSD are not recommended for use with Pro Tools as a system drive nor audio drive.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM

I've heard that you shouldn't record to a SSD. Do you know why??
Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum0405 View Post
I've heard that you shouldn't record to a SSD. Do you know why??
Supposedly, write speed is slower than on a spinning disk. Also, an SSD can only be written to a finite number of times. It's not a ridiculously small number like 3, but it is far smaller than that of a spinning disk.

Note that this info comes only from my research; I do not yet own an SSD. Also, SSD's may have improved in the three months +/- since I did my research...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Supposedly, write speed is slower than on a spinning disk. Also, an SSD can only be written to a finite number of times. It's not a ridiculously small number like 3, but it is far smaller than that of a spinning disk.

Note that this info comes only from my research; I do not yet own an SSD. Also, SSD's may have improved in the three months +/- since I did my research...
So in theory if you used a SSD for your system (including pro tools) and stored all your sessions on a HD then would you expect that to really make any noticeable improvements to the reliability, speed, crash prevention?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Supposedly, write speed is slower than on a spinning disk....
I'm not sure this is true, but in any case you could write more tracks at the same time to a disc than is possible in PT, so it hardly matters.

Quote:
Also, an SSD can only be written to a finite number of times. It's not a ridiculously small number like 3, but it is far smaller than that of a spinning disk.

This is true. However, I gather that they measure the time before failure in a kind of half life terms, and at last count it was about 57 years.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum0405 View Post
So in theory if you used a SSD for your system (including pro tools) and stored all your sessions on a HD then would you expect that to really make any noticeable improvements to the reliability, speed, crash prevention?
Your programs would load faster. That's about it. The real time saving is for people loading big sample libraries, because not only does it take a fraction of the normal time to load, you can also set the pre-load buffer much lower, meaning that you don't need so much RAM, and it therefore loads faster still.

The benefits for audio users are that you could read and write to the same audio drive with a load of tracks, and not have to split things over multiple drives, as is necessary at the moment with normal HD.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card