Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Default Re: SSD (Solid State Drives) Alleviating The Need For Two Hard Drives For PT?

4GB will cover most of the sessions I care about.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Default Re: SSD (Solid State Drives) Alleviating The Need For Two Hard Drives For PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
4GB will cover most of the sessions I care about.
ditto..mine too

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
!I've been watching the RAM drive also. The speed of reads and writes CANNOT be beat. But I am looking for quiet, and if you have a mechanical drive running as a backup, then you have a bit more noise.
RAM Drive? Someone called?

RAM Drive + SSD for the parallel redundancy = nothing can touch that.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
RAM Drive? Someone called?
Yes, I guess I did...

Good work on sluthing out the RAM drive possibilities. I am going to look more into it. I'm sure 4 gb would also work for me just fine.

I'm thinking that the SSDs could be a good place for VI sample storage. The access time is .1 ms as compared to a mechanical drive at 5-12 ms. Also, even the MLC SSDs would be fine here because you have very few writes, just reads. And, of course, the SSDs have no limit on reads.

Really, this is all about bigger, faster, and quieter systems. If the old standard stuff is adequate, then all is OK. But some of the new storage technologies will really help the DAW.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Yes, I guess I did...

Good work on sluthing out the RAM drive possibilities. I am going to look more into it. I'm sure 4 gb would also work for me just fine.
Ya, 4G should be fine for most. I myself would probably need 8G or so depending on the project.

Quote:
I'm thinking that the SSDs could be a good place for VI sample storage. The access time is .1 ms as compared to a mechanical drive at 5-12 ms. Also, even the MLC SSDs would be fine here because you have very few writes, just reads. And, of course, the SSDs have no limit on reads.
SSD and RAM drives are perfect for regular VI's and sample streaming VI's. I ran many tests with Mini Grand, Boom, Xpand etc and the results were nothing but stellar. I also ran an entire PT session all in RAM. It was definitely jaw dropping.

One thing of note with Ram drives, if writes need to be performed, it's best to use Ram drives that have a regular mirrored drive running at the same time so there is no data loss.

What really astonished me though was running video all in ram with PT. Editing and playback etc was like butter.

Quote:
Really, this is all about bigger, faster, and quieter systems. If the old standard stuff is adequate, then all is OK. But some of the new storage technologies will really help the DAW.
I'm giving the SSD technology another 12 months or so then jumping in. SSD's and Ram Drive technology are a great match for audio and video work.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ya, 4G should be fine for most. I myself would probably need 8G or so depending on the project.

SSD and RAM drives are perfect for regular VI's and sample streaming VI's. I ran many tests with Mini Grand, Boom, Xpand etc and the results were nothing but stellar. I also ran an entire PT session all in RAM. It was definitely jaw dropping.

One thing of note with Ram drives, if writes need to be performed, it's best to use Ram drives that have a regular mirrored drive running at the same time so there is no data loss.

What really astonished me though was running video all in ram with PT. Editing and playback etc was like butter.

I'm giving the SSD technology another 12 months or so then jumping in. SSD's and Ram Drive technology are a great match for audio and video work.

Shane
damn good work on that project Shane!!! there will be community light bulb that's gonna turn on real soon!! it really is an amazin' way to approach audio and video work!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 PM

For the worlds fastest SSD's I usually monitor the stats on storagesearch.

Interesting, as far as a SATA SSD goes, the fastest to date is a hybrid of RAM and flash by DTS having a 250MB/s read and 240MB/s write(Still over $1000 though). It was only a few months ago that Solidata International had the fastest SSD's. The competition is speeding things up and slamming prices down.

It's also interesting to note that the DTS Platinum HDD 2009 hybrid works like the current Ram Disk technology by SuperSpeed SuperVolume inwhich the writes performed to it's hybrid RAM get mirrored on the SSD flash. My original plan was to use SuperVolume for a Ram Disk with a fast SSD for the mirrored writes. It looks like SSD makers are starting to see the advantage of this. The only future downfall is that SATA has a speed limit. The internal Ram on the MB will always be faster.

For the bleeding edge geeks out there, check this out.

Shane

Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:

For the bleeding edge geeks out there, check this out.

Shane
ok...now...it's time to step away from the lab for a bit!! take a lunch break!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
ok...now...it's time to step away from the lab for a bit!! take a lunch break!!!
But it's only 2G per second. Just a wee bit slow I'd say.

Shane

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
But it's only 2G per second. Just a wee bit slow I'd say.

Shane
yep. still can't mess with the QPI thru-put...12gb