Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-08-2020, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Sidelined by CPU Problem on 32GB Mac

-6101 errors are sometimes caused by slow disk drives or overprovisioned drives where the samples live so how is all this set up?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I've read the op's post several times and have no idea where you're getting iZotope possibly being the problem? You're the only one even mentioning iZotope. You're quite knowledgeable but sometimes you make mistakes like this that make people scratch their heads.
Well Jack thanks for calling that out. Damn it, I goofed and meant to write Omnisphere but had been thinking about unrelated iZotope stuff and just short circuited. I'll go back and edit my posts to avoid any confusion. And your's, Dave's, and Christopher's questions here about Omnisphere versions and setups are great things to focus on.. esp. since the Spectrasonics claim you need Omnisphere 2 on Catalina (https://www.spectrasonics.net/suppor...p?showcatID=84)

To the OP:

I'd still just quickly exclude session corruption, and if still stuck I'd try removing all .aaxplugin files from the plugin folder, trashing prefs again, and doing a clean install of a newly downloaded version of Omnisphere 2 if there are still problems.

If you can do a few more troubleshooting tests then are still having problems with a simple session with Omnisphere 2 I would drop that session on a file share site and you will likely find folks here who can test drive it for you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-08-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
When you say six tracks do you mean you’re running one multitimbral instance of Omnisphere? If so it might be that you’re overloading one core because I’m pretty sure Pro Tools can’t spread the load of one plug-in across multiple cores.

It might be worth splitting the six Omnisphere instruments in one instance into six individual instances and see what happens.
Thanks to all for your input and helping me with this issue!

Marsdy, yes, I was running one multitimbral instance of Omnisphere. So I experimented with your suggestion of individual instances and it seems the problem is solved. It looks like one core was in fact getting overloaded and causing the CPU error.

In a fresh session and on 8 individual tracks, I ran 1 instance of Omnisphere per track without any issues. Then in addition to that, I added one more instance, this time with multitimbral tracks and by the fifth track, it shut down. So I deleted that one and kept going with individual tracks. I got up to 12 total instances of Omnisphere plus I added some other power hogs like Keyscape (2 instances), two MiniGrands, and EW Hollywood Strings. I finally got the CPU error when I added the strings.

Thanks for suggesting this and to all the other responses, happy to be back up and running!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Good to hear
Old 07-08-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Dumb question... have you updated your Omnisphere to newest patch version?
Yessir, Omnisphere 2.6 and all up to date.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2 View Post
Thanks to all for your input and helping me with this issue!

Marsdy, yes, I was running one multitimbral instance of Omnisphere. So I experimented with your suggestion of individual instances and it seems the problem is solved. It looks like one core was in fact getting overloaded and causing the CPU error.

In a fresh session and on 8 individual tracks, I ran 1 instance of Omnisphere per track without any issues. Then in addition to that, I added one more instance, this time with multitimbral tracks and by the fifth track, it shut down. So I deleted that one and kept going with individual tracks. I got up to 12 total instances of Omnisphere plus I added some other power hogs like Keyscape (2 instances), two MiniGrands, and EW Hollywood Strings. I finally got the CPU error when I added the strings.

Thanks for suggesting this and to all the other responses, happy to be back up and running!
Thanks for letting everybody know what you found.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-08-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thanks for letting everybody know what you found.
Yes, I guess I'll have to use individual tracks until I have an extra 10G's for the new Mac Pro... I thought the idea of using only one instance of these programs in a multitimbral fashion was to use less power, not more?! I was way off on that one, thanks again for your help Darryl.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:37 AM

That synth streams from the hard drive which according to them is configurable. Get a nvme and don’t use the system drive if you happen to be using it for your sessions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
That synth streams from the hard drive which according to them is configurable. Get a nvme and don’t use the system drive if you happen to be using it for your sessions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The place I would put the samples if I they would fit would be the internal PCIe3x4/NVMe SSD on this Mac Mini. So much faster than the external HDD... but unclear how much that would help this actual problem.

It's hard to believe this plugin would cause problems with the sessions and samples being on the internal PCIe/NVMe SSD.

All I would do is confirm disk cache is set to a size suitable to cache the session. But even without disk cache, this is such a light workload for a PCIe/NVMe drive.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The place I would put the samples if I they would fit would be the internal PCIe3x4/NVMe SSD on this Mac Mini. So much faster than the external HDD... but unclear how much that would help this actual problem.

It's hard to believe this plugin would cause problems with the sessions and samples being on the internal PCIe/NVMe SSD.

All I would do is confirm disk cache is set to a size suitable to cache the session. But even without disk cache, this is such a light workload for a PCIe/NVMe drive.
I wondered if the drive might have something to do with this issue as well. I have about 3TB of libraries all on an external drive which is a 4 TB Glyph USB-C (3.1), 7200rpm (not SSD). I was thinking of using this as a backup drive only and getting another one, but a 4 TB SSD with a thunderbolt 3 connection is about $1500. Ouch. Any suggestions on an upgrade from USB-C that would be an improvement but less than $1500? My internal drive is only 500GB...