Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Inkjet printed cdr\'s

I was thinking about getting a CDR printer, mostly for myself, then I had an idea....

If I offered full color CDR inkjet printing at a low cost, would anyone be interested...? it would be low runs only, like up to 100 or so...

You would still have to burn the cdr's your self, and jewel cases and such would be your responsibility as well.

What kind of blank media would be necessary for you to be interested? brand? record speed? capacity?

What do you think would be a fair price for a service like this?

this is just an idea i had, but i may not even bother. just wondering if its worth the hassle...
Old 10-17-2002, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Inkjet printed cdr\'s

Hey there Vega, It's a cool idea, BUT, technology is catching on as always, and I just want you to be informed before you take the plunge. There's a new toy in town. A CD burner from Yamaha which has TATOO technology developed by them you can check it here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia...sF1_flash.html

After the flash presentation hit MORE INFO.
How cool is this?!? I know it's not in color YET but it'll sure take a lot of your market. Sorry!

I don't know which type of blank cds it requires, I suppose Blank on top too, probably Yamaha cd-r's.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:30 PM

I use a Primera Signature II (they now make the Signaure IV) CD printer. It was NOT cheap, and it took alot of experimentation to get good results (i.e. a completely centered label). The quality with an inket CD printer is not the best, but passable. You will always have to use white, black or clear blank CD media with it which cost more.

To be honest, I wouldn't see much demand for labelled CDs with those press on labels everywhere. Most people would expect you to do the label, burn the CD, print the j-card and a jewel case for them all in one price.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:39 PM

True.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:08 PM

yeah, i have seen the tattoo thing, and from what it looks like, it burns text to the unburned area of a cd, the ring around the outside. if you have a full cd, though, there is not much room left for the text.

i realize it wouldn't be a plug and play deal, and i know the downfalls as well. i have seen a couple companies on the net doing this for about $1.39 a disc for just the inkjet printing (not thermal). i am sure i could do it for way less and save some people money (almost half after some calculations i did). I dont plan on becoming a business for this or anything as i have better things to do with my time than baby sitting a cd printer all day every day. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

just throwing an idea out there...