Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 AM

Default Investing in a full Euphonix MC Rig

I'm not new to ProTools, but I am new to the Euphonix system in terms of using it myself. Those that know me know my position for a certain key retailer, but I'm also an audio engineer as well. I've loved my Control24 and Argosy desk, still do---but it's time to make a change and the Euphonix Artist series is the direction I'm going. Part of this change is so that I can have a control surface to work when I'm editing video in FINAL CUT or if I'm using DIGITAL PERFORMER or LOGIC as well as ProTools. At this point the Artist series works just fine in PT---but with AVID purchase well, the writing is on the wall in that we'll see EuCon built into ProTools (yeah!). This is what set me over the top---with plans to purchase (1) MC CONTROL V2 and (4) MC MIX units to go along with my existing MC TRANSPORT (actually, I'm going to get the fourth MIX later).

I am contracting with STYLE and FUNCTION to build a somewhat custom desk for this system. I'm choosing them based on the stellar feedback I've found, the ability to have the console built how I WANT it to be built, the look and build of solid Maple, etc. I'm hoping to receive the desk and my MC units within the next 30-days so that I can get everything setup before I take off to Shaoxing China for the World Choir Games where I'll be in-charge of all production for the Voices of Unity Youth Choir (www.dreamsofgold.org).

This desk is amazing looking---and will look killer with the MC units installed. I'll keep ya'll posted!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Investing in a full Euphonix MC Rig

I don't miss the Control 24... it had a big footprint, and seldom using the pre's, that left the top of the unit an oversized meter bridge... still it served me well for 5 years without any problems

I'm very impressed with the Eucon Control and Mix (say hi to Tim Harrington for me ) I may add one more mix down the road (after they get it integrated so i can assign tracks to faders/channels0 , but for now banking and nudging works fine... and I also chose it so i could use some other applications

so 1 control and 4 mixes... that's like what... 80" I'm tall and my arms don't stretch that far!

Do send pictures!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Thumbs up Re: Investing in a full Euphonix MC Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
Do send pictures!
+1
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Will do---
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM

i'm doing the same right now... anyone want to buy my Control 24

I tested an mc control a few months ago and had a few bugs with my PTHD rig, the "chair" mode kept crashing protools and the lcd screen sucked, but now that Avid owns them, I feel better about purchasing and the bugs working out. I've loved my control 24, but its just time to update.

I have a the 90 series Argosy full desk, the bigger one with 2 side racks.

i've measured it out, and 1 MC Control, 1 MC Mix, and 1 MC Transport will fit almost within an inch less in the place of the control 24 from left to right.
I'm going to just mod my Argosy to fit them like it was made for them and mount my monitor panels behind them at the same angle of the desk for a seamless look. a Dell 20 lcd panel fits perfect in there side by side.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Brad, just a word of caution (at least my personal experience) with Style and Function. I had a custom desk built for me, and he ended up doing some wacked out design with the backplate of the desk that looked like some child scribbled all over it with a crayon that I did not request at all. I was then told if I didn't like it he would make me a new backplate and send it to me, which I said yes, please do that. He never did, and repeated requests for it went ignored, and I've been stuck with a desk that clients literally make fun of when they see it because it looks like a child scribbled all over it.

Not to mention I had requested a sliding keyboard/mouse shelf underneath the main part of the desk, but he installed it on the auxiliary piece that was for my synth controller, so I ended up having to jury rig it to get it installed on the main desk part.

Needless to say, I wouldn't ever have another desk made by Style and Function.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback----was that on the very backside you said? Aside from that issue---would you say you like the desk?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Thanks for the feedback----was that on the very backside you said? Aside from that issue---would you say you like the desk?
Yes, the issue was the cross piece of wood that sits beneath the meter/speaker bridge. Anyway, I was just contacted by Akalu regarding the issue, I guess he saw this thread or you mentioned it to him, so hopefully this will be rectified soon.

Otherwise, the desk works well for my purposes. As long as you are very specific with every aspect of how you want it designed, I'm sure you'll be okay.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I mentioned it to him.....no sense keeping it to myself.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM

Well it's official.....the desk is on order already, and I just ordered (3) MC MIX and (1) MC CONTROL V2. I decided to just go with (3) MIX instead of (4) to better integrate the CONTROL into my work flow space. Man---4-weeks is a long time now! LOL