Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Default Expansion Pack rigs question

I gotta curious question for Chris or the Chimp...

I have uploaded a few rigs that I created over at elevenrackpresets.com like many others have, and I was thinking about revisiting some of those rigs and tweaking them once the Expansion Pack is released. And as I was thinking about how the Speaker Breakup or the parametric EQ could help get some of those rigs closer to the way I want them to sound, something occurred to me which leads me to ask this....

If someone was to upload a rig that was created using elements from the Expansion Pack (as in the Speaker Breakup, parametric EQ, or say the SVT Bass rig), could someone download and use them if they have NOT upgraded their Eleven Rack to the Expansion Pack? My guess is no they couldn't, but I thought that it might be worth while to ask because I would guess that there might be some people who do not upgrade to the expansion pack right away...and how could they be able to tell if an rig they want to download used elements from the expansion pack or not? (I'm guessing that they would get some kind of 'not a valid file' error?)

I'm not worried about it myself, because I'll be upgrading on March 22nd...if Avid's server isn't bogged down too much

Just a curious inquiry

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Expansion Pack rigs question

[QUOTE=mikefont;1750682]I gotta curious question for Chris or the Chimp...

I have uploaded a few rigs that I created over at elevenrackpresets.com like many others have, and I was thinking about revisiting some of those rigs and tweaking them once the Expansion Pack is released. And as I was thinking about how the Speaker Breakup or the parametric EQ could help get some of those rigs closer to the way I want them to sound, something occurred to me which leads me to ask this....

If someone was to upload a rig that was created using elements from the Expansion Pack (as in the Speaker Breakup, parametric EQ, or say the SVT Bass rig), could someone download and use them if they have NOT upgraded their Eleven Rack to the Expansion Pack? My guess is no they couldn't, but I thought that it might be worth while to ask because I would guess that there might be some people who do not upgrade to the expansion pack right away...and how could they be able to tell if an rig they want to download used elements from the expansion pack or not? (I'm guessing that they would get some kind of 'not a valid file' error?)

I'm not worried about it myself, because I'll be upgrading on March 22nd...if Avid's server isn't bogged down too much

Just a curious inquiry

For instance, Line6 allows to download a patch made from Metal Pack for instance even for whom haven't the Metal Pack, but the extras features can't be used, or the extra amp can't be used and is replaced by a standard one...

Mesa Boogie IIC+ JVK Monster
Eleven Rack
EBMM Petrucci Variax
Dunlop GCB95Q
Ernie Ball Volume pedal VPJR6180
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Avid

Basically the answer is no, but there's more to it than that. For a number of reasons we made all V2 rigs NOT backward compatible with V1 firmware, even for V2 rigs that don't use any new features.

We definitely considered doing various versions of backward compatibility along the lines of what you suggested, but in the end decided not to. But for $99 what 11R user won't upgrade to V2? I'd imagine it'll be very few. Also, there's so much new stuff here that I doubt users will create very many presets with no new features.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Basically the answer is no, but there's more to it than that. For a number of reasons we made all V2 rigs NOT backward compatible with V1 firmware, even for V2 rigs that don't use any new features.

We definitely considered doing various versions of backward compatibility along the lines of what you suggested, but in the end decided not to. But for $99 what 11R user won't upgrade to V2? I'd imagine it'll be very few. Also, there's so much new stuff here that I doubt users will create very many presets with no new features.
Yeah, anyone NOT wanting to upgrade at only $99?????....well..... that's just crazy talk!

Thanks for the reply there Chris!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM

The most important is of corse that presets made in version 1 is compatible with the coming version 2 with Expansion pack.

99$ from me
Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Avid

Yes, we will ensure that version 1 Rigs (FW 1.0.3) will load correctly in version 2 (ERXP). None of us want to lose our treasured Presets!
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
Yes, we will ensure that version 1 Rigs (FW 1.0.3) will load correctly in version 2 (ERXP). None of us want to lose our treasured Presets!
I for one am prepared (not happy) to wait until March so that all these things are well thought out in advance.

By the way, is it March yet?