Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Digi - Please Consider EuCon

INTERESTING:

REDMOND, Washington (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Thursday it would make key technology elements of some of its best-selling software widely available to boost interoperability with its competitors and customers.
To make connecting with third-party software easier, Microsoft will publish on its Web site key software blueprints, known as application program interfaces, pertaining to its high-volume products used by other Microsoft merchandise.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 AM

Hi, i have been toying with this issue for quite a while now, Icon, or Euphonix... I think by now we all pretty well know the advantages and disadvantages of both controllers. As far as I'm concerned, I'm using Logic more and more for writing and MIDI, and always liked to feed everything back in Pro Tools (via digital) cause audio and mixing within PT is IMHO much more intuitive, easier, and out right better, and as we've mentioned, PT is the standard, so why not communicate with the rest of the world in a common language!

That being said, a good part of my work is being handled in Logic, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the MC Pro with 24-32 faders may be the best move for me. Although I'm very much aware that PT integration will undoubtedly suffer (due to HUI protocol), at least I'll be able to control Logic in a flawless way, and PT in a limited way, nonetheless, I will control it... and will pray that a miracle will happen ;-)

Another point I want to make is that I have often been asked by freelance engineers if I had the facility to mix music projects for Digital Performer (since many composers still work with it), and the fact that now MOTU has come aboard the EUCON protocol along with Logic (and others), it allows me to offer not only Pro Tools and Logic mixing, but also Digital Performer as a service to my clients without great effort... all with one controller... Not a bad option, and something worth considering while choosing a controller!
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM

I concur with the overall sediments expressed in this thread re Digi supporting EuCon, but I'm wondering if business-wise, Digidesign wouldn't be better served simply supporting the Mackie Control protocol so many other manufacturers support (SSL AWS900, Yamaha DM1000/2000, Tascam DM-4800 etc.). That way Pro Tools users who prefer using Logic as their PT front-end for music production, or those of us who need to be able to work with different DAW applications, can use one Digidesign controller/mixer, whether it's a Command 8 or a C|24 or a high-end Icon. Digi could double their sales of these products and generate additional HD1/2 system sales if they weren't so exclusive. If Digi did this I would sell my humble MCU Pro + XT in a heartbeat and move up to a C|24, unless Euphonix comes out with something in between their Artist series and System 5-MC with 24 faders @ around the same price as a C|24. - ERIC.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Digi already supports the Mackie protocol (aka: HUI), but HUI is a very basic way of controlling PT. It was created many years ago, and to my knowledge has never really been updated. It has limited capabilities. SSL and others are "stuck" having to use it if they want to "somewhat" talk to PT! It's not a professional way of controlling PT, not even close. It limits you in just about every way. Don't compare PT controlled by HUI to PT controlled by an Icon, a C24 or even a Pro Control, and neither to Logic or Nuendo controlled by Euphonix (EUCON). Anybody "half" serious wanting to control any high end DAW wants more than HUI to control their software, and that is why EUCON was created.
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Ray, I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not talking about PT software supporting HUI, I'm talking about Digidesign Contollers supporting the Mackie Control protocol (not HUI) so that they (C|24, Icon etc.) can be used as DAW Controllers/Mixers within Logic, DP, Nuendo etc. I'm very happy with the way my MCU Pro works within Logic and have no problems controlling Pro Tools via HUI mode for the VO projects I primarily use PT for. I realize EuCon is better/faster and would love to see Digidesign support it but that's going to take major paradigm shift on Digi's part.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 AM

Digi becomes "open" per se??

Digi goes Native?... they may have to to battle the Logic/Apple/Apogee combo!

Digi publishes DigiNet... Their Ethernet controller protocol.... and charges for it.

Digi goes MADI 56/64 or one of the new Cat 5 multichannel standards...and they charge for it!?

Digi goes Windows.... for real. not half--assed as now. Apple is the enemy folks!!

But will someone in the NorCal PT management "get it" and step out. Jobs did exactly that when he went Intel!

BTW, Did you notice the roll out of the new Euphonix "Artist Series" on the Apple only platform?

Hmm.....
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 AM

Sorry Eric (jazzmila). Thanx for the clarification.
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
we use Mojo right now but we must find a good solution for non linear HD soon.
Try www.Fairlightus.com and check out their Pyxis HD which sits in the racks and uses 9-pin control - we have it and it is great. (Uncompressed HD video, ADR functions, digitizing from a HDBeta and as well as DV and quicktime compatibility...)

We too are looking at an Icon D-Control but are keeping an eye on the Euphonix - great discussion! Hope Digi does something but I doubt it. If we went with the MC-5, we would still buy the HD rig, but that is dollars lost to Digi by not selling an ICON controller and I am sure that this is what they must consider. Since most places have HD rigs, Digi's only way to gain more dollars out of those places is to sell them a controller. Digi has to ask how many customers would they truly gain by opening up their protocol. I can see why they would be skeptical but am hopeful forums like this can lead to a better solution.

Roberto
Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 AM

Another vote for Eucon here!

Maybe digi could offer three different levels of eucon integration at three very different pricepoints like pyramix has done.
In order to gain full integration of a system 5, they could charge a huge fee, maybe even in the 5 digit range.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Question Re: Digi - Please Consider EuCon

Yes I am back with this. Just had Hybrid installed on the S5 and have we have also ordered 2 fusions for 1q 2010. While I can say that it is better to have Hybrid than not, I really think Digi should think about this again. HUI is what it is and Euphonix has done a pretty great job of implementing it and maxing it out. But like I said we ordered 2 Fusions because the bussing and monitor section ( to say the least ) along with the flexibility using layouts, snapshots, multi-format masters, and many other things just cannot be outdone by a standard control surface. ( IMO )
So once we get our facility all Euconised, there may be a real need to look at other DAW's? I'm just saying?
Anyways, I would love to have PT be a fully Euconised partner like ALL the others. Just think Digi, in this economy you shouldn't be shutting out these options. We're gonna spend 350k + wouldn't you like some of that instead of none of that?

Just Say'n ?