Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Default Neyrinck Dolby Digital encoder REAL SLOW with PT8

Has anyone else noticed this? We recently updated the last four of our HD systems to v8 and I was doing a quick confirm that all plugins were good with it. I opened a 4:00 minute 5.1 stem, highlighted the tracks and opened Neyrinck's Dobly Digital encoder to test.

Recalling my typical metadata settings, I hit the ENCODE button. The progress bar IMMEDIATELY jumped to 50% and sat there for another 90-120 seconds. I was just about ready to tell the plugin to QUIT when it completed the task.

I seem to remember it being MUCH faster than this prior to PT8, and the progress bar ALWAYS remained on a linear path.

I'm running the test on an HD2, Mac OS 10.5.7, PT8cs3. The last time I ran the plugin was about 10-days ago when we were still on PT7.4.2 and don't remember it acting this way.

Paul (Neyrinck), and thoughts? Any concerns? I did check the file with a quick decode and discovered the RTAS performance of PT8 SUCKS compared to previous versions. Lots of clik/pop until I drastically changed DAE settings. Too bad...
Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Neyrinck

Default Re: Neyrinck Dolby Digital encoder REAL SLOW with PT8

Thanks Eric. Yes, this is a known issue with PT 8. But please note that the encoder is not slower. Rather, the progress bar is very inaccurate for multichannel Audiosuite processing. PT 8 has a number of graphic defect issues with Audiosuite. The progress bar is wrong for any multichannel processing and gets worse the more channels you have (Dolby E encodes of 8 channels are REALLY bad). Also, it no longer displays the time remaining information that SoundCode provides.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Neyrinck Dolby Digital encoder REAL SLOW with PT8

Thanks, Paul. Just wanting to make sure. Like I said, RTAS decode is AWFUL in PT8, taking a lot more resources... or so it seems. We really have to increase the DAE buffer size to make it playable.